CHAPTER 20: Monster kid

Sejal's pov

In the morning, may be i fell asleep for some minutes. Actually i was awake through the whole night. His temperature was continuously fluctuating and he was groaning through the whole night in body pain.

It's common in chicken pox. When the blisters will fully develop in his skin, he will have severe body pain. I'm sure within two days the pox will appear in his skin fully.

I massaged his legs, arms and his head through the whole night. My hands were hurting now. He was absolutely unconscious and tossing and turning in bed in pain.

Many times tears gathered into my eyes after seeing his painful state. I can't see anyone in pain. I know doctors should never get attached to their patients emotionally, but I'm very new in this field, so i have no control over my emotions.

Many times my mind asked me, is he just a patient to you sejal?

But i ignored my minds baseless talks and keep doing my job.

Dadu has also called me in the middle of the night. He was so scared and wanted to come here to see him but i stopped him. I assured him that i will take full care of him. Finally Dadu was convinced. He told me that he has blind trust on me.

He is really my old angel...

My sleep broke with the voice of village sarpanch(head of the village).

I came outside of my camp and saw few of the village women standing along with the sarpanch. They were all looking tensed.

"Is he alright?"- asked the village head.

I smiled after seeing their concern.

"Actually sir, he has got chicken pox"- i said the truth.

"Yes, we know...nilima told us....actually these diseases are very common here...."- he said.

I also know this well. These villagers are very well adapted to such diseases but we urban people are not. That's why Prithvi sir caught that virus so easily inside his system.

"Bitiya....this is not just a disease....this is the blessing of ma shitala"- head told me.

(Another hindu goddess. According to hindu mythology, ma shitala spread this disease if she not get a proper worship)

I stared at them in confusion. I know that these people has strong believe system and their own folks and myths.

"bitiya, you need to follow some rituals to cure your husband.....here are some rules which you have to follow during these 20 days"

I was stunned. I know about these rituals a little. But i really don't know how I'm gonna complete all these? But at the same time i can't deny their demands otherwise, they will get hurt. And i know one thing very well that never ever hurt anyone's religious sentiments. Also another lesson of our medical profession is never to hurt anyone's cultural belief. Sometimes psychology plays a big role in healing a disease.

"Bitiya, only a wife can cure her husband this time....you have to stay on the village outskirt....adjacent to the big temple of shivji.....and you have to daily visit there by crossing 1000 steps of ladder and gave a worship to both shivji and his daughter ma shitala....you have to follow this routine for the rest 20 days...then give the prasad to your husband......you have to win ma shitala's blessing through your dedication and worship"

I looked at them in little shock.

"I know beta, you are a doctor but these are our rituals...if you don't follow them, then ma shitala gets angry on everyone of us.....so we don't need that.....will you do this for the safety of every villagers??"- the head asked me with a hopefull expression.