twenty seven

Beverly

"Yes, everything is packed and ready to go." I tuck my phone between my cheek and my shoulder as I zip up the suitcase after the last item has gone in. It took a bit of shoving and squeezing, but I managed to fit everything in one giant luggage that will be checked in at the airport. And by everything, I mean every carefully selected outfit, shoes, cosmetics; everything. 

"You have your passport?" My mom asks, and I glance over to the right of the suitcase, where it lay next to my wallet, some extra cash, and a pair of sunglasses. 

"Yes." 

"You sure?" 

"I'm staring at it right now, Mom." I laugh, shaking my head. 

"Okay, well, put it away." She says and I tuck it, along with everything else that was laying out, into my purse that would act as my carry on. "I can't believe you're going tomorrow." 

"I know, it's been a long month of hard work but it's finally paying off." I breathe, as I heave the heavy travel bag off the bed and onto the floor. It thuds harshly on the ground and I cringe, slightly concerned at what my downstairs neighbors would think.

"Congratulations, sweetheart." She gushes, and I smile, grabbing the phone from between my shoulder and face. 

"Thanks, Mom. I'm excited." I climb into bed, pulling the sheets over my bare legs. 

"You should be. Is Harry going to be there?" She asks, and I chuckle to myself, knowing it was only a matter of time before she brought him up. Every time we talked on the phone now, he remained the topic of conversation for at least 10 minutes of our call. 

"No, he's got some stuff to do back here." I answer, and look over at the empty space next to my bed where he should be. He hasn't spent the night since that night after the restaurant, and I missed it. We've just been insanely busy, him working on his album, and me finalizing the small details of what was coming tomorrow. 

"Well, bring him over soon, please." She begs, and I laugh. 

"Mom - "

"I'm ready to meet him." 

"Well, what if he's not ready?" I test, although I wasn't exactly sure if this was the case. We didn't really mention it again after I had initially told him that my parents knew I was seeing him, and I had no idea if his family even knew about me. 

"Well, ask him!" She says like it's obvious. 

"I'm not going to do that." I laugh, finding her persistence amusing. I examine my nails, freshly manicured for this trip. They were a neutral light brown shade, glossy and not too long. They looked clean, and would go with any outfit, which is why I chose that. 

"Are we ever going to meet him?" She asks dramatically.

"I don't know, depends if we last that long." 

"It's been two months already, Beverly. Jesse brought his first girlfriend home two weeks after they started dating." She states. 

"Mom, they were in high school then." I point out the obvious difference, and my phone buzzes. I look down quickly, using it as a quick excuse to avoid my mother's scolding. 

You all packed up? H.

I smile down at the message, my heart fluttering slightly. 

Yep. All set. 

"...and we'll love him. So please?" I had no idea what she had just said, as I put the phone back up to my ear. 

"We'll see." I simply say, as my phone buzzes again, but this time, it's an incoming call from Mel. "Mel's calling, so I'll text you before I leave tomorrow. I love you, bye." I say, and she says the same back before I switch calls. "Hey, you."