fifty-nine

Like music to my ears, his heartbeat softly echoed off the walls in perfect harmonies. His eyes were closed, face looking serene as ever while his tiny body floated endlessly in my womb.

"Perfectly healthy, Mrs. Luciano." The doctor said as she pointed with her finger towards the monitor of the ultrasound machine.

My chest puffed, proudly. Bobbing my head in pure satisfaction, I flashed her a warm smile back.

He's beautiful. Gorgeous. In a way that no word in a vocabulary could narrate. By just witnessing his existence through the monitoring screen, the overwhelming love I felt towards him was truly priceless.

"Is everything alright, Mrs. Luciano?"

The doctor asked worriedly as she looked over at me.

Breaking my silence, I cleared my throat and looked her way.

"I'm great." I smiled and her tensed shoulders relaxed a bit. My eyes automatically went back to the baby, "He's a bit big for a baby a few weeks old." I joked, hoping to lessen the tension in the air, to which Doctor Fiona responded with a surprised tone.

"A few weeks old?" She chuckled, "Mrs. Luciano, you're near the end of your first trimester."

I blinked at her hard, twice before blurting out.

"No. I am not."

"Yes, you're." She said, eying a piece of paper lying beside her hand on the table, "You're twelve weeks pregnant, Mrs. Luciano. It said here on your file.

Feeling lightheaded all of the sudden, I dropped my heavy head back on the pillow.

Twelve weeks. That basically equal to three months. Three freaking months I had been pregnant without knowing.

I quickly raised my head, feeling my blood pressure drop rapidly as I asked.

"Um, Doctor..." I was feeling sick to my stomach. Guilt was eating me up alive from inside, "W-what're the risks of taking birth control while being pregnant?

I tried to remain calm but when Doctor Fiona's eyes widened briefly as she stared up at me in shock, I swore I almost had a heart attack.

"W-well, Mrs, there's a myth that taking oral contraceptives can lead to birth and major congenital abnormalities but that's just an old study." She said, adding a weary chuckle before continued, "However, a recent research suggested that there don't seem to be any risks, but you should definitely get off the pills right away once you learn of your pregnancy."

I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on breathing through my frustration.

"I knew something was off." I groaned, "I even took the test back then but it said I wasn't pregnant."

"A home pregnancy test isn't always accurate, Mrs, especially when taken too soon." The doctor said, "Which is why here, at the hospital, we usually take the blood sample to confirm it."

Right.

A sympathetic look crossed Doctor Fiona's face as she looked back at me.

"We can run some tests to check if there is anything wrong with the baby. How about that, Mrs?"

"Yes, please." I quickly nodded, "That would be perfect."