Chapter 55

Once again, thank you so much for commenting your thoughts. It's always a pleasure unlike anything else to hear them. And woohoo! We're at 50k reads and 3k votes! Thank you everyone!

P.S. This chapter has gone quite long so I apologize in advance.

Also, sorry for the typos if you find them.

Happy reading!
---

"So he is the reason for your nightmares, isn't he? He hurt you to the point that you can't even sleep well?" Eva demanded to know as soon as she caught up to me.

I shook my head. "No, Eva. We just had a small disagreement. It's nothing."

She scoffed. "It's not nothing, Evie. You can't lie well enough for me to not see through it. He hurt you, I can see that clearly. You might be my elder sister, but I won't let anyone get away easily after hurting you. You wait here, I'll go give him a piece of my mind."

"No, Eva, wait!" I called out but she had already marched off towards the exit. I sighed at her retreating form. Just then, I heard another demanding voice.

"What just happened? Why did you just leave in the middle of the dance? And what did you just say to Adrian to make him look so heartbroken? Is everything alright, Eves?"

I gave a convincing fake smile to a concerned Allie. "Of course! He was just being his regular big headed self. You know how arrogant he is! So we just had a disagreement. I suppose I shouldn't have left so dramatically but oh well. Don't worry, nothing's wrong." I said with as much conviction as I could to make her believe me. It was stupid and utterly foolish of me, I knew it, but for some reason my heart was still not willing to share everything with Eva and Allie, not wanting them to think badly of him.

Allie scrutinized me for a long moment, making me fiddle in front of the short woman. It looked as if she was about to press on the subject further so I changed the topic swiftly. "Anyways, this is your evening. So where's that fiancé of yours? I'd have thought the two of you would've been attached to each other's side literally with some glue or something."

Allie rolled her eyes but a beautiful smile adorned her face at the mention of Jake. I watched in awe and a hint of envy as her face radiated with love and happiness. "Oh, don't be ridiculous, Eves! I won't attach him to my side now. I'll do that later." She winked, making me gag at her. She laughed at my visible disgust before the smile slipped from her face. "He's calling Mike. His parents asked us to invite him as well, which Jake was strongly against. Honestly, I'd rather not even have his name tainting the party but his mother literally begged us to invite him so that Mike doesn't feel left out just because he was adopted. So Jake's calling him now, but not after asking me a thousand times if I was really okay with this. God, I love him so much!"

I smiled at her, genuinely happy for my bestfriend. "You did well, Allie. Jake is a good man. A little stupid sometimes, but good. I know he'll do anything for you." I said honestly.

"Ouch, Eves. I never thought you'd be one to talk behind my back. I can't believe you called me stupid!" Jake's voice reached us as he appeared behind Allie, immediately wrapping his arms around her from behind. "And you, my fiancée, you did nothing to defend me." He mumbled but Allie was past hearing as she melted in his arms.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Of course I called you stupid, Jake. And your dearest fiancée would think the same if she knew what you did all those years in college. Have you told her?"