chapter eighty-four

"Tonight, when the boy comes it will not fail you, I'm sure of it," Snape says to You-Know-Who, seemingly referring to the Elder Wand, "it answers to you, and you only." You-Know-Who then questions Snape's question, in his slivery whispery voice and despite not actually being in the room, I can feel the tension between the two. "The wand," You-Know-Who starts, as he walks around Snape slowly, "does it truly answer to me? You're a clever man, Severus, surely you must know. Where does its true loyalty lie?"

Snape insists again that the wand belongs to the Dark Lord as he turns his back to the glass, which we just make out from our positions, his hands behind his back also. It sounds like You-Know-Who has walked a little away from Snape, because his voice becomes harder to hear: "The Elder Wand cannot serve me properly... because I am not its true master. The Elder Wand belongs to the wizard who killed its last owner. You killed Dumbledore, Severus... while you live, the Elder Wand cannot truly be mine."

I turn to Harry, my eyes wide with horror, and see that his expression matches my own. "You've been a good and faithful servant Severus," he continues, but I feel my body bracing itself, knowing what You-Know-Who feels he must to just to get the power he desires. "But only I can live forever." And before Snape is able to utter anything more, there is a sharp slicing noise that rips through the air, followed by a pained gasp... and then Snape's body collapsing against the glass panels, making a few cracking noises as he shifts. 

"Nagini... KILL." 

I turn and bury my head into Harry's shoulder, unable to have my vision anywhere near the unbearable sight before me, but I can't do anything to stop the sounds of Nagini relentlessly striking Snape's body. She strikes several times, hissing and sneering all the while, until she stops. You-Know-Who and his despicable snake Disapparate, leaving only the sounds of Snape's husked gasps and the sound of dripping blood. Harry helps me stand up and we all hesitantly walk into the boathouse, all of us afraid of seeing our dying Potions teacher.

We enter the room and I thought upon seeing Snape bleeding out, I would freeze in place, but instead I instantly rush over and try to stop the bleeding - at least as much as possible. I place my hand underneath his chin, where I see most of the bleeding is being caused... yet I know that the venomous snake bites is something I cannot do anything about. "Professor, please stay awake," I beg, my voice cracking slightly, Harry coming in beside me with his hands pressed against another wound on his chest. 

As Snape's eyes flutter back open and he notices the two of us in front of him, the corner of his lips quiver with a few pearly tears falling from his left eye. He raises his hand, gesturing to the tears. "Take them," he implores, his voice broken, "take them, please." Immediately, I dig around in my beaded bag and after pushing away bottles and books, I dig out a small vial. I lightly press it to Snape's cheek and once I have caught a few little tears, I make sure the vial is shut securely and I pocket it, then I return my hand to Snape's neck wound. 

"I don't know what I can do," I mumble to Harry, turning my face to his for a response, but I gasp slightly when I feel Snape's hand turn my chin back to his face. "There is... nothing... you can... do," he whispers, his voice growing graver and more broken, "but... thank you." Then, he turns to Harry and when the two make eye contact with one another, the slightest smile grows on Snape's face.

"You have... your mother's eyes," he comments, just before his head turns to the side and the entirety of his body relaxes, his hand falling from my chin to his lap. Harry stares at the poor man, as I raise my hand and gently shut his eyes. "He's gone," I whisper, turning back to Harry, whose face I just cannot read as he stands back up. As I go to join him, a searing pain drums through my head, almost like a whistle and I double back slightly in pain. Somehow, I manage to get up and walk out of the boathouse, just before that dreaded ghost-like voice returns. 

"You have fought valiantly," You-Know-Who's voice calls out. I turn to look at the three, who are all holding their heads in muffled pain. "I do not wish this, every drop of magical blood spilled is a terrible waste. I therefore command my forces to retreat. In their absence, dispose of your dead with dignity. Harry Potter, I now speak directly to you. On this night, you have allowed your friends to die for you, rather than face me yourself. There is no greater dishonour. Join me in the Forbidden Forest, confront your fate. If you do not do this, I shall kill every last man, woman and child who tries to conceal you... from me."

As Voldemort's voice fades out of our head, I stumble backwards a little, my hand landing on a pillar outside the boathouse to steady myself. "We need to get back to the castle," Hermione comments, her tone shaky and nervous. We all agree, but as we all start to walk towards the stairs that lead back to the castle, I intertwine my fingers with Harry's and clench his hand. "We don't know," I whisper, my voice just loud enough so Harry can hear me, "we don't know who's still alive. What if we walk in and... and..."

"Hey," Harry interrupts my stammering, squeezing my hand tightly, "it's going to be okay. Yes, we don't know, but everyone out there fighting are strong and they know how to defend themselves." I nod my head solemnly and I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. Harry continues to assure me that it will all be okay, but I still feel nerves bubbling inside my stomach, especially when we finally reach the castle again. 

Hopefully causalities aren't as bad as I am imagining...