Chapter 7 : Vakkar

"What the fuck did you just say?" I snarled, facing Jacqueline, looking at her and then at Lennox.

Their expressions revealed panic, and defeat. I shook my head and took a step closer towards them, searching their features, snarling in anger, disbelief,

"She's gone?"

"Alpha." Jacqueline, one of my best warriors, one who I had trusted to bring my mate to safety, who had fucking sworn she would ensure Leora was protected, spoke up, her voice careful but hesitant, her face still showing defeat,

"We were taking her to the jeep, but then I was shot. Lennox and I were ambushed by the Feldon warriors-"

My eyes moved to Lennox when he interjected, "I pushed Leora away from the crowd whilst Jac and I fought. And by the time it'd dispersed, she was gone."

With my eyes still locked on Lennox, and with ice beginning to fill my veins as I absorbed his words, I bit out, "Abner."

"On it." My Beta muttered from beside me, moving outside the room and no doubt leaving the house to begin to arrange for my warriors to search for Leora.

I swore under my breath, tearing my gaze away from Lennox, and marched to a broken window, taking in the destruction of the pack outside of it.

Countless bodies, some maimed, others simply lifeless, could be seen amongst the sidewalks and roads.

Those who had been killed were mainly the Feldon warriors, although a few pack members and humans had also died. Edith had, surprisingly, put up more of a fight than her mate.

I'd watched Abner fight her, and even after we had though she had succumbed to her injuries, she's surprised us both by speaking abruptly, her words garbled and nonsensical as she laid crumpled on the floor of Rothman's office, her arms twisted and one of her legs ripped from her body.

I'd ended her then, and killed her the same way I had her husband, through clawing her throat and ripping it open.

After the battle, as I had travelled to this house, one that I had instructed Jacqueline and Lennox to take Leora to because of its distance to all the chaos, I had assumed she would be safely waiting here.

Instead, when I arrived at the house, and entered the room which I thought Leora would be in, all I had seen were my distraught looking faces.

Feelings I had not experienced in years, all to do with panic and dread, had surged through me then and I'd demanded an answer about Leora's absence.

My eyes narrowed, and once again I looked over the pack outside. She had to be here. Maybe she had found somewhere safe to stay until the battle had ended, or-

"Alpha," Jacqueline said, her voice still careful, not holding the confidence I was used to hearing from her. "The jeep was also gone."

I jerked around to face her, rasping,

"What?"

Jacqueline flinched, but recovered quickly. She straightened her shoulders and met my gaze steadily. "The jeep was gone. I asked around and some warriors said that they can recall a few humans in it. The jeep was driven out of the pack."

"Did they give a description of those who were in that jeep?" The back of my neck tingled, and I could feel my fingers and knuckles, some of them mottled and blistering because I had put them into use just an hour ago, curl tight into fists.

Jacqueline glanced over her shoulder, looking towards Lennox before nodding once. Impatience skittered down my spine when she hesitated, and then, I growled, "What, Jac?"