.059

The odd thing about life always includes the good and bad things that happen. I can hardly believe some of the good aspects, such as the excitement I have for Maggie being pregnant with her first child and the food Hilltop has given us to help us get by. There's also awful things I can't wrap my mind around, such as the Saviors still not being completely taken care of and now are wanting to seek vengeance for what our people did to them, the fact that Daryl had to drive back to the railroad tracks to pickup Denise's body so she could have a proper burial, or the fact that I had to hear the news about Carol going missing.

    I sit in the kitchen, eating an apple, when there is a knock on the side door. I go to open it, but Rick gets there first, so I resort back to my seat.

    Tobin is the visitor, holding a note out to Rick. He reads it slowly, but not a second later, he is hurrying to the coat rack to grab his corduroy jacket. "What's going on?" I ask, mirroring his concern.

    "It's Carol. She's missing."

    "What?"

    "We're gonna find her. Stay here. If you need anything, ask Maggie or Rosita." I don't have a second to ask anything else before Tobin and Rick are out the door again, leaving me alone.

    I spend the rest of the late morning with Carl, but go off to find Rosita by noon. After searching all her usual locations, I still can't find her. I decide to head to the gates, wondering if she's on watch as she tends to be, but isn't.

    "Have you seen Rosita?" I call to Sasha who's standing on the guard post.

    "She left about an hour or so ago - a little before Rick. Glenn, Michonne and Rosita went looking for Daryl."

    "Daryl's missing?" I ask incredulously, the list of people I'm concerned about only growing.

    "He left. Nobody knew why, but Rosita thought she might. She went out helping."

    "Thanks," I say, feeling defeated as I walk away. With everyone else gone, I decide to look for Enid, wanting a friend to talk to. I cross the shaded sidewalks and head to her house first. Luckily, she's in her room, flipping through a magazine on her bed when I find her. "Hey," she says, not lifting her head from the colorful pages.

    "Hey."

    "What's up?" Enid asks as I sit myself onto her bed.

    "Half of the people I know are gone or missing. It just makes me worried with the Saviors out there and all, you know?" Enid nods.

    "Who's gone?"

    "Daryl, Rosita, Michonne, Carol, Glenn, Morgan, and Rick. Carol went missing first. Morgan and Rick went looking for her, but now a bunch more left after Daryl did."

    "They'll come back. They always do."

    "I hope so," I sigh, shoulders hunched. Enid hands me a magazine that was resting on her nightstand.

    "Wanna read?" I smile, taking it and opening to the first page. It takes my mind of things, but only for a little while. Enid and I take turns showing each other pictures and articles from the array of printings about celebrities and such. When I look at some of their faces, I guess that they're most likely dead. No matter how valued they were in society's eyes, it didn't matter in the end.

    After a little while, I get bored and ask Enid if she'd like to go downstairs and get something to eat from the pantry. For Enid, that's one of her personal favorite reasons about living where she does with Olivia. Whenever she wants, she can have her pickings over the food. We've even smuggled extra chocolate rations before.