Chapter 61

~Esther~

I woke up at eight in the morning to my phone blowing up. My phone started ringing for what felt like the tenth time and I finally answered it, lifting it to my ear while still only half awake. "Mae, thank God, you fucking scared me." Ash's voice woke me up immediately.

"Nope." I mumbled. "I'm too tired for this." I ended the call and set my phone back down, not wanting to talk to Ash when I wasn't even fully awake. I didn't know what to say anyway and it would be a trainwreck if I was this tired.

Josie, Indi and I had stayed up until three in the morning watching movies before we all finally fell asleep in the living room. My phone started ringing again, waking up Josie and Indi. "Will you shut that damn thing off already?" Indi mumbled, grabbing an extra pillow to put over her head.

"I second that." Josie groaned, taking the pillow away from a now offended Indi.

I declined Ash's call. 'I'm trying to sleep. You're annoying Indi and Josie.' I texted him.

His response was almost instant. 'I don't give a fuck. What the hell do you mean 'you're too tired for this'?' He quoted me.

'I've only had five hours of sleep. I'm. too. tired. for. this. shit.'

He tried calling me again but I declined it on the first ring and texted him instead. 'No. We'll talk when I get back later.'

'God dammit Mae, just answer the phone.'

'No. Just wait until I get back.' I glanced at Indi and Josie to see them already sleeping again, quiet snores were coming from one of them but I couldn't tell which one.

'And when will that be? You said you'd be home yesterday.'

'When I feel like it.' I rolled my eyes, turning off my phone and putting it back under my pillow. Pulling the blanket back over my shoulders and laying my head on the pillow, I tried to fall back asleep.

Around ten minutes later I was finally drifting back off to sleep when I heard a car door shut outside. That better not be him. I really don't want to talk to him right now.

I sighed, standing up from the couch and throwing the blankets off of me. I fixed the sleeve of my tanktop when it fell down my shoulder as I walked towards the front door. I was a foot or two from it when I heard heavy footsteps coming up the porch.

I quickly looked out the window to make sure it was Ash before opening the door and stepping outside, not wanting him to knock and wake up the girls. The cold air nipped at my skin, making me wrap my arms around myself as I leaned against the railing of the porch. "What are you doing here?"

He stopped at the top of the stairs and looked at me, trying to tell what was wrong by the look in my eyes like he normally did. I kept them as emotionless as I could while I stared at him, raising an eyebrow when he stayed silent. He still didn't answer, instead he took off his jacket and held it in his hand, wanting me to take it. "Please, darling."

I sighed, knowing he wasn't going to talk until I did what he wanted. I hate how he's acting like he cares. I slipped the jacket on before crossing my arms and leaning against the railing once again. "What are you doing here?" I repeated.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay. You didn't answer me last night and you were pissed this morning."

I rolled my eyes. "Hm, I wonder why." I mumbled under my breath.

"Look, Mae," He stepped towards me and held his hand out as if to cup the side of my face but dropped it when I leaned back. He sighed. "I know you're pissed at me but I have no fucking clue what I did. I don't know how I fucked this up, Mae. I want to fix it though, just please talk to me." He pleaded.