Out Of The Shadows

CHAPTER SIX

🌙

The wind seemed to be still, yet the crunching of leaves and twigs was plain as day

The wind seemed to be still, yet the crunching of leaves and twigs was plain as day. Then, finally, growls could be heard, and the horses decked in silver and purple halted before collapsing, blood dripping from their noses and mouths.

I felt the need to move back or run away, but I was seemly planted. I was utterly immobile; no matter how much I wanted to look away or move, I couldn't.

The crunching and snapping drew closer, the elegant wagon was rocking, and I counted three, no four, maybe five different voices before three guards came, basically falling out and the door was slammed shut again. To my surprise, I knew their wardrobe ... all too well. It was the Knights of the Moon Kingdom.

But why? Why was anyone from the Moon Kingdom, much less such a wealthy someone? Here in the middle of nowhere of the forest? What day was this? What year was it? The markings on the carriage and the gear the Knights wore seemed a bit dated.

The wind came back at that point, and with a vengeance, I felt chilled to the bone, but I could not even shiver. At the moment it took me to let out an icy breath and blink my eyes, screams and growls echoed threw out the forest. Brown, black and white fur mixed in a blur in front of my eyes. The Royal Knights were no match, as they were taken down in a blood bath within minutes.

A women's sobbing could be heard over the many wolfs clawing at the carriage. It wasn't long before the wolfs stopped completely backing up and sitting down on the edge of the dirt path. Purple curtains moved, and I tried to get a decent look at the passenger, but the glimpses told me nothing about who was in the carriage. Finally, footsteps were heard to my right, and I saw the wolfs standing and making space for a very handsome man and a young woman dressed in a long cloak and black veil.

He didn't look as much as felt familiar to me. His shoulder-length shaggy hair, olive skin tone, and toned build all felt familiar. He had a five-clock shadow and a cigar hanging from his mouth. Dressed nicely, actually in an old-style suit. I remember seeing the style in the human history books from the late 1920s.

It seemed he had control of this wolf pack, though, as he pointed a finger down, they all sat back down in a row on either side of the two people.

"Come out, show me the mighty royalty that attempts to rule."

The sarcasm dripped from his booming solid voice like a potent venom lacing each word. Shuffling took my attention as I looked back to the carriage. I was ready to see who this was and royals at that. My mind soon broke as a man stepped out but did not show his face as he looked into the carriage with his hand held out. Sniffles and the smell of salty tears filled the area as a small delicate hand trembled in the man's own.

That's when I saw them, her face ... I knew that face! That was the very youthful face of my mother ... she stepped out, belly huge into the cold outside, and the man turned, no doubt, was my father. He didn't have many images of his youth, but I knew that was him. His pale violet eyes gave him away. They stood in front of this man, my father's shoulders slumped in defeat, and my mother trembled while holding and rubbing her stomach. She looked to be in pain of some kind.