Epilogue

I took the jeepney to school and was already late. Daddy usually drives me, my mom, and my sister, to Brgy. Pinagtipunan, where the school was located, but I still needed to deal with some stuff this morning and decided to have them go ahead of me. It wasn't the first I commute to school, so it wasn't an issue.

I was already familiar with General Trias, Cavite a year after moving from Manila. This is where my mother hails from and where all her relatives reside. We lived in the house my parents bought in a newly-constructed subdivision.

Both of my parents were teachers. Mommy worked in the public school where Jillian, my younger sister, and I were studying. I was in 9th grade while my sister was in 8th.

Nasa Navarro na ang jeep na sinasakyan ko nang may sumakay na isang babaeng estudyante. Kapareho ng uniform na pangbabae sa school ko kaya natiyak ko na schoolmate ko ito. The girl seemed like she was also late. She took the seat in front of me, and I unconsciously stared at her.

I didn't know what came over me, but I just couldn't take my eyes off her. Maganda siya pero ang lungkot ng mga mata niya.

We got off in Malabon and took the same tricycle. When we arrived at school, she left hurriedly, but was called after by the driver and reminded her of her fare. I remembered then that I did not see her pay for the jeepney ride as well.

Tulala kasi siya palagi. Parang ang lalim ng iniisip niya kaya siguro nakalimot na siyang magbayad ng pamasahe. I didn't think more of it and thought that would be the last time I see her. 

Thought wrong as I frequently encountered her during my commutes. I always stole a glance at her, but she never noticed as she was always deep in thought. She was so young, but seemed like she already carrying a lot of burdens in life.

......................................................................ARAW-ARAW. Halos ganoon kadalas ko na siyang nakakasabay. I'd become used to staring at her and it had become a ritual of sorts.

...................................................................I STILL DID NOT KNOW THE GIRL'S NAME. I never dared to ask, thinking just looking at her was good enough.

.............................................................................................................................................................AS TIME PASSED BY, the girl's demeanor changed. What was once a sad young girl had now a fierce aura surrounding her. I quietly witnessed the transition and marveled at it.

The girl started using lip tint on her naturally red lips. May pagkakataon na pumasok siya na merong highlights ang kanyang buhok na mahigpit na ipinagbabawal sa mga estudyante. As a result, our school guard didn't let her in the, but she didn't seem to care.

"Tangina, ayaw ako papasukin, e di 'wag!" sigaw niya at tumambay na lang sa labas.

Kinailangan ko pang kausapin ang guard para mawala ang atensyon nito sa kanya. Dahil doon ay nakapuslit siya papasok.