Wattpad Original
There are 32 more free parts

Chapter One

Maddie

"Come on, you've got it," I tell her. "Come on, just a few more steps!"

Isabelle wavers in front of me, her stubby little hand holding onto the coffee table for dear life. She's reluctant to trust me, but I know she can do it. She's smarter than she thinks.

"Come to mama," I say again, my phone recording in one hand, my other reaching out for her. She looks at my hand again, and finally, finally, she lets go of the coffee table.

"That's it!" I squeal and sit up on my knees. "Come on, big girl! You've got it."

Oh my god, is she actually going to?

I thought I'd be at work for this. I thought I'd miss the opportunity to catch this on camera, but I am in complete and utter awe when she takes two steps all on her own. She stumbles once she reaches me, but she did it. She took her first steps.

"Oh my goodness!" I wipe away tears that have stupidly fallen onto my cheeks and bring her close to my chest to kiss her repeatedly. "You did it, Izzy! What a big girl! Mama is so proud of you!"

Suddenly there are knocks on the door to my apartment, interrupting our little celebration. I set Izzy up on her play mat and place some toys around her before I check to see who it is.

"Uh-oh, Izzy." I grin as I open the door. "Look who it is! It's uncle Ethan."

He has a huge smile on his face and pushes past me to rush over to her. It's a normal thing by now for her to get all of the attention. I've gotten used to it.

"There's my favorite niece!" He picks her up and brings her close to give her a kiss on the cheek. Izzy gets a smile on her face, little dimples coming out on her cheeks. She loves her uncle Ethan.

"Look!" I shriek and race over to him so that I can replay the video I took only seconds ago. "She took her first steps, Ethan."

"Izzy!" He says in disbelief as he watches, unable to wipe the smile off of his face. "That's incredible. Wow. She's getting so big."

I nod and take the opportunity to do some dishes while he's holding her. It's not easy to handle raising a baby and keeping up with the housework by myself. Sometimes my mom will come over and take her for a day, or Ethan and Maya will watch her, but for the most part, it's just me.

"Any reason you stopped by?" I ask.

"Um, yeah, actually. There is. It's about time for Izzy to go down for her nap though, right?"

I nod.

"Well, then how about..." Ethan lifts her up into the air and Izzy giggles. "Uncle Ethan puts you down today, huh? Let's let mommy have a little break."

Whatever he has to talk to me about must be serious if Izzy can't be around for it. Maybe he got a new job, or maybe Maya decided to end the engagement. Judging from how happy he is though, I find that doubtful.

I finish the rest of the dishes as I listen to Ethan sing Izzy a lullaby of some sort. It's honestly adorable, and whenever he and Maya decide to have kids I know he's going to make such an incredible dad. He's an amazing uncle.

He closes the door gently behind him once Izzy finally seems to be settled down and finds me again in the kitchen.

"Do you want something to drink?" I ask.

"No, I'm fine, thanks," he replies, slipping into one of the barstools by the island before he clears his throat.

I'm parched, unlike him, so I open up the fridge and grab some orange juice to pour myself a glass.