Chapter 2

At some point, Amara must have zoned out because the next thing she registers is their arrival to the secluded lands of the Onyx Moon pack. There are two wolves, one on each side, waiting there to lead the way towards what the amber-eyed girl assumes would be the pack house. They are both beautiful with almost identical coats of auburn fur. She is made painfully aware of just how wrong she had been in thinking that they were close by when countless miles have passed and the family has yet to reach their final destination. She opens her mouth but gets cut off by her dad’s velvety voice answering her unasked question. "We only have about ten minutes so just sit tight cub, we'll be there soon".

Just like he said, not ten minutes later the beautiful scenery full of lushes meadows and trees that thrive, seemingly having been there for ages, give way to a clearing where the pack house is situated in the middle of woodland. The mansion is modern meets log cabin with large windows and brick detailing. It looks luxurious yet warm and inviting. There are people outside, most likely the Alpha waiting to welcome them. The anxiety creeps back in and Amara breathes in deeply while momentarily clutching the pendant hidden under her top to keep herself anchored.

Elsie and Ulrik exit the car which prompts Amara to move. Her parents had told her a little about the Alpha of the Onyx Moon pack, Maddox Kahale. Nothing they said could have quite prepared
the twenty-year-old for the reality of the man standing before them. His powerful aura is almost palpable and she has to shove her hands into her jacket pockets to keep them from shaking.

The man has the stance of a seasoned warrior and his eyes roam around, seemingly assessing her family. Amara can't help but want to squirm and hide when they land on her but at the same time, it seems impossible to look away. It feels as if all the energy around them is being sucked away from every living thing and inanimate object and directed towards him and his immense presence.

Amara had never seen eyes quite like his, green and endless like the spirit of nature itself is trapped in his gaze. Stern and mysterious almost unfathomably unreadable which irked her to no end. She wanted to get a hint, even a slight one, as to what he is thinking as he scrutinizes her. Electricity fills the air and it is nearly suffocating. Amara is practically choking on it until Elsie places a reassuring hand on her daughter's shoulder which breaks up the moment.

Daring a look around, she realizes no one else must have picked up on whatever that was and she is incredibly thankful for that. Risking another glance at Alpha Maddox, she watches the fierce observance break. The fiery glare turns playful and mischievous, lips turning up into a lazy smirk surrounded by rugged facial hair, dark left eyebrow- cut through by a faint scar- lifting. His tall stature and broad shoulders are still imposing but there is a roguish swagger that replaced the earlier stoicism as if we passed some silent test none of us were aware of.

Maddox steps forward and clasps hands with Ulrik. “I am Ulrik Johansen and this is my wife Elsie and daughter Amara. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to join your pack” he speaks diplomatically, voice smooth and full of an authority that Amara has rarely seen. The Alpha lets go and tips his head in acknowledgment before turning to Elsie who clasps hands with him as a warrior would. If he is taken aback by this, Maddox does not show it and Amara’s eyes shine with pride in her mom. The Alpha’s smile has an amused edge and mom returns it with a fierce one of her own that pulls a deep chuckle out of the man. “I have a feeling you will be much more trouble than your husband ever will” he comments and the fierce woman just winks and smirks while Ulrik throws his head back and laughs.

Amara is watching on, fighting back giggles, distracted enough that it takes her by surprise when the captivating leader turns to her and she swallows an embarrassing eek. The younger woman squares her shoulders and does her best to channel her mother's confidence and ease before offering her hand to Maddox. His eyes gleam knowingly but he carefully takes it in his much larger one. He pulls her slightly towards him, making her breath hitch.

Amara wants to say something witty and cheeky to somehow impress the man that she will probably not see outside of functions again. Unfortunately, all she manages to do is spend long enough trying to come up with something that she loses her chance and mentally curses her sudden awkwardness. Apparently, her social skills are taking three to five business days to arrive.

“Welcome to the Onyx Moon pack, Johansen family. We are honored that you have chosen to make our pack yours. As we already decided Rik, there will be a probationary period to determine if this is the best fit for everyone. We will have a meeting before dinner to make introductions but I didn’t wanna overwhelm you. Make yourselves at home. Sina is one of the pack caretakers, she will be showing you to your section. I look forward to seeing you tonight”. With a nod and parting words, the Alpha turns and walks away towards another man who has been waiting on the sidelines.