Chap. 23 - Tension at the family dinner

Even a few days later, (Y/n) still felt pain from her sore muscles. She wasn't used to fighting, so after an intense hour of just that, plus fighting Sun Wukong, she wasn't feeling her best.
"Monkey~," she whined, dragging her feet. "just carry me *please*! I'll even be okay with hanging on your staff by the back of my collar like last time!"
"No (Y/n)." he said, turning around and walking backwards to face her. "If you're going to fight more in the future, you'll have to get used to this feeling!" he clenched his fist smiling. "You should relish it you know?! It's proof that you fought hard and badassly! That feeling is like a rite of passage. Great isn't it?!"
"No."
"Are you kidding?! I wish I could experience my first battle again! Boy did I feel like shit afterwards!" he sniffed, getting emotional as he looked up at the sky. "Your first real fight, and it was against the great and powerful Monkey King! What a time to be alive huh?"
"Technically, I think my first 'real' fight was with Nezha."
"What?!" he quickly turned around, offended.

"I tried to get passed him in order to get back to the Jade Palace of Heaven. Obviously I lost."
'Looking back on it, I was embarrassingly bad. I couldn't even touch him.'
Monkey scoffed.
"That bastard! How dare he?!" he looked away before holding her shoulder (to which she let out a little 'ouch' of pain). "Don't worry (Y/n), I will avenge you!"
"No need, it's all good." she lazily waved a hand. "Also, what's with the change of reaction there? What's the difference?"
"The difference is that you were fighting a dumb version of myself, obviously you were gonna win. First fight being a losing fight? That just sucks!" his gaze wandered. "That brat! And then he comes to me and says 'she's my friend' and all that sappy crap!"
"Aww~! Did he really say that?" she smiled, touched.
"Don't react like that!" he pointed at her. "He doesn't deserve it!"

.
Our two protagonists approached a crossroad, split into three. Monkey gestured to the direction they had to take. But just as they turned to their new course, a giant fire ball came down from the sky. With his quick reflexes, he tackled (Y/n) out of the way just in time, the two of them falling on the ground. Monkey quickly stood in a fighting stance and looked up.
"Why hello to you too! What the hell man?!"
(Y/n) followed his gaze. Descending from the sky was a young man, well, he looked human except for his bright red hair, his bull horns and bull ears.
'Is he part demon, like Wuneng?' she thought.
Before she had time to ponder over the question, our two protagonists gasped when they recognized the armor he was wearing. The same as the generals working for the Three-Horned Demon Lord. She quickly stood back up and prepared herself.
"Finally," the demon said. "fate has brought you maggots to me!"
"Maggots?!" they both exclaimed, Monkey being the most offended one.
"Sun Wukong, I will beat you to the ground then drag the two of you to my Lord. He will kill you once and for all," he pointed at Monkey, then at (Y/n). "and he will eat you!"
"Ha! If your boss really think he can kill me, he is very welcome to come here and try again!"
(Y/n) shook her head, not really a fan of the idea after what happened to her last time. Monkey prepared his staff, standing at a certain distance from her so she doesn't get burn.
"Come at me with you little flames!"

The demon's smile only grew larger. He put his hands together and took a deep inspiration before blowing fire out of his mouth. Monkey smirked and rotated his staff, reading to simply swat his attack away. But as soon as it touched him....
"Woah! That burns!" Monkey exclaimed and jumped away in surprise. "Wait," his eyes widen. "it burns?"
"Aren't you fireproof?" (Y/n) asked, just as shocked as he was.
"I am!" he glared at the demon. "What kind of fire is that?!"
The young demon just laughed.
"You fool! You are only immune to human fire and heavenly fire. This," he raised a hand in which an unusually bright flame appeared. "is neither of those things. This is the true fire of Samadhi! Not even the rain of the dragons can extinguish it!"
Monkey gulped, gripping his staff in frustration. The demon laughed.
"That's right! I, Red Boy, is the only being in the three realms able to hurt you!"
"That doesn't mean anything!" Monkey pointed at him. "I'll beat your ass, you and your stupid name!"
"How though?" (Y/n) quietly asked.
"I'll figure it out." he said between his teeth.
She pursued her lips, trying not to show her worry, and to forget about her sore muscles.
'This guy must be crazy powerful. I don't know how we can get out of this one.'