Chapter 3

Maddox has to force himself to leave without giving anything away. The Alpha had smelled Amara before he even laid eyes on the curly-haired beauty. The smell of freshly bloomed honeysuckle mixed with the subtle scent of cinnamon. It's an alluring mix, slightly different from the one he remembered. The sweetness from before is now accentuated by the more womanly spicy undertone.

The twenty-eight-year-old man isn’t shocked that Amara has no recollection of meeting him. It was seven years prior and she had not seen him. The shifter had just lost his father and been handed the pack. It had all been too much all at once and he took off in wolf form. He needed to run, to be free, to forget. If only for a few moments. He had no recollection of how long he had been gone after handing the reins over to his wolf.

It took longer than he would like to admit before he realized what had snapped his consciousness back to the forefront. He was in a dense part of whatever forest he had found his way to. The entire area was laced with the most alluring aroma. His wolf called to his destined mate and Maddox wasn’t sure how to react. As silently as possible, the ebony wolf padded closer to where the scent was the most potent. Playing there among the fauna was his young mate. He could tell she was too young to make the connection considering mating links only show themselves after you come into your majority at twenty-one.

A man and a woman who must be her parents are within range and Maddox’s wolf makes eye contact with the man whose eyes look like the ocean during a thunderstorm. The new Alpha makes no move to get closer and the mother spirits the girl away, leaving the man to address each other. The discussion was tense at first once Maddox shifted back into his human form.

The men came to an understanding. It would be years before Maddox could claim young Amara as his mate and he wanted her to live and grow before then. Their age difference, while not huge, still put him at an advantage along with his position as leader of one of the oldest and most powerful packs. To meet on more even footing, it was agreed that Maddox would leave her be. Amara would continue to mature without him by her side so she could come into her own. He wanted to see who she became. What kind of woman she would turn into.

Ulrik conceded to sending updates from time to time to appease Maddox’s instincts as much as they could be under the circumstances. The older man was given direct access to reach the Alpha at any time should they need assistance of any kind. Whenever the small family was ready, he made it clear that they would be more than welcome amid his own. Then the wait began. It tore him apart to walk away then, but it was important for him that he do what was best for his younger mate. It would be healthier for them in the long run. That knowledge did not make the separation any easier but it did strengthen his conviction.

In the years following, he did his best to live up to his position. Knowing he had a mate to make proud helped drive him through the more tumultuous times in the beginning as he made changes. They were better for it and eventually things settled and everyone found their place and peace in his ranks. The pack, his family, his work. It all kept him busy but he was always aware of the years passing by and bringing him closer to his mate. Hopefully.

The call from Ulrik requesting a place in his pack was a balm to his nerves that he had not even realized were fraying the closer they got to Amara’s twenty-first birthday without any definite plans being made. He is not even ashamed to admit his eagerness and insistence that they come as soon as possible. There were still months before Amara reaches her majority but it will allow her to get to know him and grow comfortable within the pack before their connection is revealed.

Maddox is not a stupid man. Impulsive and brash at times? Sure. But never stupid. He knows there is more to the situation than meets the eye. He can smell secrets from a mile away and the married couple seem to carry some heavy ones. He is keeping an eye out as well as having his most trusted keeping tabs. His instincts don’t set off danger bells so, for now, he will allow them their secrets as long as they are not putting Amara or his pack in harm's way.

When the moment he had been yearning for finally arrived, the anticipation of standing close to his mate had Maddox on edge. He trained his features carefully as to not give anything away. Pushed his wolf back to keep himself from doing anything reckless. Wrestled with his instincts and the burning need to take her in every way. The Alpha’s body was right there with him, growing hot and eager but he tamped down on it as quickly as possible.

Amara’s scent only grew stronger as he approached her, enticing the older man. When she stepped out of the car, he could have stared at her all day. Eyes the color of the first rays of dawn, hair chestnut and alluring only making her eyes stand out even more. Lips sinfully juicy, painted the color of a fresh strawberry. She's small in stature, bringing up images of how she'll fit against the warrior that he fights to erase.

After meeting the fiery woman who raised Amara and seeing a glimpse of their family dynamic, Maddox could not wait to get to know the young woman who would hold his heart and soul. A fact she doesn’t know yet. Her status will remain a secret for now except for his closest friends and advisors, Min and Carter, as well as his Mother Fia. If the look on Min’s face is anything to go by, Maddox is in for a world of teasing this afternoon but he can’t help but think It’s fuckin worth it.