Chapter 20

Soaking wet and on edge, they reach the cluster of houses. The boy she now knows is named Jonah and the girl named Emma are siblings and guide them to their home. "We're in for a world of hurt, aren't we?" grumbles Jonah now that they're in the safety of their neighborhood.

"Why were you two out so late anyway? I'm willing to bet it's way past your bedtime." The kids look at each other looking guilty "We couldn't sleep and just wanted to run around without grownups always supervising" Emma’s voice is soft and apologetic. Most likely a result of realizing there was real possible danger out there tonight.

"You're pretty young to be out all on your own at night." The irritation on Jonah's face makes it clear she had hit a nerve. "I may not look it but I'm eleven and Em is nine. Just wait, I'll grow up to be just as big as my dad and I'll be a better Enforcer than anyone else in my group." Emma grabs his hand and Amara feels a little bad for poking at a sore spot for this young boy.

"I don't doubt it. After all, you are the one who was able to get a message out to the Alpha. Without you who knows how long it would have been until we reached the pack. You did good future Enforcer" Amara praises with a smile and a teasing wink and it seems to pull Jonah out of his stupor. There's a blush and a small smile on his face.

"You were the bravest!" Emma squeals and hugs her brother. Although Jonah rolls his eyes he hugs her back.

"Which house is it again?" Lyam’s voice breaks through their little moment. In truth, she had almost forgotten he was there. Emma and Jonah point out a nearby home painted light yellow with cream shutters. "If you want you can go ahead, I'll get them there safely and then head back to the pack house. In the meantime, I'm sure Maddox will need to ask you some questions” Amara offers.

"Alpha"

"What?"

"He's Alpha Maddox or Alpha Kahale. That’s how most people refer to him, especially when they hardly know each other." Lyam says with a furrowed brow and seems to have found some meaning in Amara using his brother's first name. She resolutely holds back the blush she can feel rising to her cheeks, feeling like her friend just called her out.

When she doesn’t say anything, he turns and heads down towards the pack house. Amara tries not to dwell on what Lyam might be thinking. This entire night has been so weird and she is sure they are both just tired and mentally drained. Hopefully, he is back to being good ol' Ly in the morning and they can forget whatever the hell just happened.

"Well, if we keep standing here we'll all catch colds. Let us go talk to your parents." She nearly laughs when they groan in almost perfect unison. "Now, now. It is better to get it over with. I'll do what I can to get them to go easy on you but I make no promises."

If Amara is being honest, she is pretty nervous herself. She needs to wake their sleeping parents and somehow explain the events that occurred as vaguely as possible while also getting across that they can't speak about it to anyone for now. She’ll just have to make it work.