Ch-30: Destiny

Scott's POV

"Anything important yet?" I looked at Deaton for an answer.

"Yes... might be an understatement to my research, and No... might be an oversimplification to your question, so it's a 50/50." He was back with his usual witty replies. I guess he never changed. The same old Alan Deaton, the veterinarian of Beacon Hills town, if not, possibly the only badass veterinarian in the whole town.

"Keeping in mind the fact that I had to bribe my dad to come over...Can someone here not speak simple English?" Stiles was halfway through seeing stars in his eyes.

"You bribed your dad to come over?" I smiled, looking at him trying to bring a little sense of humor in the midst of all the pain. I lied to Stiles about me being okay, I was not okay, not physically, not emotionally, not mentally. The healing has slowed because of this.

"Very funny...It's two weeks of washing the dishes, doing the laundry, making three days of meals all by myself... for God's sake Scott! Enough with your tiny little teases!"

"Yes...like I've told you," Deaton spoke in seriousness, cutting in between our conversation, "... the symbol in the picture stands for an Irish term called, athbhreithe, which means Rebirth or to rise from below. The strange part is... the Dermaptera species, isn't native to Beacon Hills so that many numbers in a single place is just... impossible."

"The Dermaaa...umm...What?", Stiles stumbled on his words, he wasn't that happy on his feet, especially with the bugs and scientific words used in front of him.

Deaton apologized, humbly saying, "apologies, I mean...The bugs that you have submitted for an investigation. It's their scientific name."

"How was it possible then?" I asked, "The picture that Alec gave..." I reopened that same photo on my phone, "..it looked like a whole community. Did they migrate here for some reason?"

"As it happens. No" Deaton spoke as calmly as before,

"No. These species don't migrate. Could you hold this please?"

He was holding the insect on a pair of forceps and looked at Stiles for an answer, who was the closest person standing with him,

"I have to dissect it for a clearer perspective on facts."

"Huh?" Stiles looked at the lifeless creature like it was a demon from hell. He was disgusted by its presence,

"Definitely not doing that. I am gonna go over to that place and join her."

He pointed to his back without looking, and then when he saw our surprising faces, he turned back to see Malia snoring on Deaton's desk, with Duke, my dog on her lap, taking a nap.

"she looks pretty useful by the way...this is some really good cooperation skills..", Stiles said, looking at both of us.

"Tired... Had a rough day, probably." I replied to Stiles, and I took the forceps from Deaton, "Here, let me help..."

"at least..." Stiles jumped and sat on the desk as well, "she has someone who...you know..umm... looks up for her."

I've wanted to ask him this for a long time, "okay, what's the deal with you and Lydia?"

"Scott!" Stiles exclaimed, "we are not having this conversation...Not now."

"Yes, we are Stiles. It's now or never."

"I'd rather choose never." Stiles narrowed his eyes in disgust, "Scott..There's a killer out on the loose, the killer..who ...by the way...could've shot any of us dead inside a police station, and thank god..it wasn't either one of us or our friends... we are more than just eighteen-year-old adults who have abandoned their colleges and came back to this same old Beacon Hills town...we're trying to figure out what's wrong with the strange patterns made by bugs in the forest, and that's what you wanna know? Are you sure about what you wanna know? Because clearly! I feel like this is not the priority that we should be giving to."