26. {stolen sophmores}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

eventually, lydia had joined scott, liam, moon, hayden and franchie in the locker room. it was late night so everyone was tired and the room was quiet.

"what were you going to do with these?" liam asked. he had gotten up, leaving moonee on the ground. in his hands were long metal chains.

scott shrugged, "brought them just in case."

"in case of what?"

"in case we had a chance to catch one of them." scott informed him, "if we can't make the school a fortress, then maybe we can make it a trap."

"they're coming for her- doesn't that mean she's the bait?" liam asked scott.

"hayden's bait?" franchie questioned, walking to them.

"you never said that." moonee hissed at her brother as she got to her feet.

"guys, we brought her here to protect her." lydia tried to tell them as liam dropped the steel chains.

"so why is she bait?" franchie queried, growing irritated.

"am i?" hayden asked innocently.

scott glanced at franchie, she tried to hide it but he could smell the annoyance on her. in all the years he had known her, she had never gotten like this. "no, no one's bait. but we can't be bodyguards to everyone every night."

"then why aren't we talking to stiles' dad?" liam challenged, "why aren't we doing something better than hiding in a school?"

"exactly."

"because we still don't know anything about them or what they want, okay?" scott told his sister, "they're winning, and we don't even know what the game is."

"what if they come in here and those things don't work?" liam snapped, "what if you have an asthma attack again? what are we gonna do?"

"i don't know."

"this plan sucks!" liam exclaimed.

"you got a better one? kids are dying, and she's next!" scott began to raise his voice in frustration. "so, somebody has to do something. somebody has to save everyone. so somebody's got to be the bait!"

"scott... promise me you'll do everything you can to save her." hayden was liam's friend, despite the ongoing hatred they had for one another, and he didn't want to see her hurt.

"promise us." moonee added.

"scott, please." fran muttered.

"i'll do everything i can." scott nodded, "i promise."

"guys... i think i might need a little help right now." hayden was digging through her backpack, "i forgot my pills. i have a bottle in my locker. i can get them, but-"