Chapter 24

For Amara, waking up the next morning feels like rousing from the dead. Her body is heavy and her eyelids want to shut. In the distance, she hears a persistent beep and realizes what woke her up was her phone. Clumsily reaching over to the nightstand, she manages to grab the insufferable thing. Who could it be? Only a couple of people even have her number. A text from Sina flashes on the screen and Amara flops back into bed before reading it.

Sina: Hey! You doin' alright? I've been seeing a lot more Enforcers patrolling. The parentals say it's probably nothing but I thought you might know since ur at the epicenter of activity.

That is literally the one thing Amara did not want her asking. She doesn't want to lie but she’s not sure what people are being told. Maybe if she wasn't an idiot and had bothered asking last night instead of groping their Alpha then she would know. With a loud groan, she slaps a hand over her face. Amara isn’t an idiot even if she had been doubtful before, last night made it clear that there is something there and not just on her end. The thing is, she still hasn’t decided what she wants to do about it if anything. For now, something else needs her immediate attention.

Let's talk later, I can swing by your place around lunchtime.

If nothing else, that will give Amara time to find out what she is and is not allowed to say...or maybe she'll just tell her what happened and make it clear it has to stay quiet.

Sina: OOH! must be juicy then :D later babe!

Tossing her phone back on the nightstand, she contemplates staying in her room and never facing anyone ever again. That won't help anyone though so she rolls out of bed to get ready for the day. The clock hanging above the bed shows she had only slept a couple of hours. It is still early morning so she figures her best bet is to head down to the kitchen.

Black leggings, flip flops, and a slightly cropped baggy t-shirt tied in a knot at the waist will do for today. Because falling asleep on Maddox seems to be a thing now, she never got to properly put her hair up before bed which means her curls are doing whatever they want after getting rumpled while she slept. The easiest thing is to throw it up in a bun and call it done. On this day, no fucks were given and she is perfectly fine with that.

Skipping down, Amara tries to appear more energetic than she feels. She can hear more activity than usual. Peeking in, she sees a group busy making food. Immediately she recognizes Lauren, Jonah, and Emma's mother. She spots Amara and waves her over.

"Morning sweetheart, want a little something to eat?" Her greeting is warm and she gives her a hug.

"Sure but what's going on? Usually, it’s only on the weekends that big breakfasts get made, right?" she asks curiously, leaning her hip against the countertop while trying to gauge if word of the rogue had gotten around.

"Babe, they may not be letting us in on what's happening but most of us have been married to or known these men long enough to recognize when there's a problem. Until we're told anything, all we can do is support them by keeping their bellies full. I'm Alesha by the way." The woman that spoke up has the most beautiful skin Amara has ever seen. Warm deep ebony with chestnut eyes and gorgeous Senegalese twists cut into a bob.

"Nice to meet you, Alesha, I'm Amara. Since I'm already here I'd love to lend a hand. Is there anything I can do?"

"We can always use extra hands around here" Lauren assures her.

"Come help me roll and bake these biscuits and you can get to know the rest of the ladies. Sound good hun?" It's Alesha who asks Amara to help her out. It feels nice being there and feeling included. She is introduced to them all, from what she can tell none are as young as her but they get along like a house on fire right away.