38 - ꜰʟᴏᴡᴇʀꜱ

THINGS HAD been going well, more than well if she really thought about it. Only thing is, she didn't really have the time to just sit and think anymore like she used to. Between helping Billy navigate his grief for Harry, hunting for Victoria and much-needed hangouts with the entire Cullen family, she hardly had a moment to herself. She went clubbing with Luna, or their version of clubbing, went for many what could be called 'dates' with Jasper, went on a few protective details with Rosalie in the bigger cities where the two got so close that they hardly needed to talk to each other to know the other persons move. She did get the rare occasion to sit down and chill, mostly in front of her television but Jasper was always there. Not that she would change that for the world. She liked his company, she really liked his company to the point where she found herself smiling more when she was in it.

Did she want him to make a move? Such a simple question yet the answer seemed to be more difficult to grasp. It was the uncertainty of the entire situation that made it seem more difficult. She wanted it, of course she did all those pining messages and thoughts amounted to that conclusion. But she couldn't tell why she didn't feel ready enough for it yet. It was a very weird feeling that she couldn't ever delve too deeply into.

But mostly, she blocked those sorts of thoughts because something else took over her mind to such an amount that other things didn't seem as important. It was one of the reasons she liked her jampacked schedule. To keep her mind busy and away from the impending sense of doom that surrounded her half-mortal friend. Billy had gotten sick again, it wasn't as bad as before but it knocked him out for a good few weeks. Initially, she thought it was a grief-related thing but turned out it really wasn't. Seeing him like that knocked it out of her and she knew that it was selfish, it ate her up, even more, to think like that. Seeing him weak and pale, not able to eat anything set a thought in her mind that numbed all the others. He no longer had immortality and one day, she would have to live in a world without him in it. It scared her more than anything else did.

"Athena," a voice echoed through her mind, probably having been repeated multiple times. She snapped out of the deep thought and was pulled back into awareness of the Cullen living room, where she had been sitting alone for a good few hours - she didn't feel like going home to a silent house, there was always some sort of movement here. Instead, now Jasper stood in front of her, half crouched at his knees with concern furrowing his brow and flooding from his eyes.

She picked up her head and softly shook the thoughts from her head, her mind becoming clear, "Hm?"

"I asked you a question," he responded softly, still trying to cycle through her many emotions. He could not make any sense of them, just like she couldn't.

She cleared her throat, putting a slight smile back on her face, "Sorry, I was thinking. What did you say?"

"If you wanted to go for a walk, it's starting to get sunny out," he replied almost vacantly, mind focused elsewhere. "Are you okay?"

She smiled, nodding in response to his second question. "That sounds good right now," she replied softly, letting out a half relieved chuckle. Some sort of relief flooded through her veins at the idea of a thought distracting walk through a gorgeous forest, which would be even more alive than usual due to the turning of the seasons. That sudden change of emotion took some of the concern from his expression, instead a soft smile tugged at the very corner of his lip as he extended his hand for her to take. She slipped her hand into his then stood and the two of them walked out of the house and straight into the forest.

They walked at just above human pace, so there was enough time to admire the scenery without going so quick that she'd miss something. Athena was in her own little world of wonderment, watching how spring had affected the nature around her. Jasper was in his own little world too, just one that was mainly made up of concern for her sudden change in demeanour and all.