13

Yoongi cleared his throat loudly from the kitchen. Heiran didn't pay heed as she mindlessly flipped through the channels on her TV. He tried again, a little louder this time but Heiran was determined. Yoongi was just as resolute noisily coughing himself into a choking fit but no one beat Heiran in her stubbornness.

A loud sigh breathed right behind her, "Heiran."

Silence. Silent Wolf must be really rubbing off on her.

"Ran-ie~"

Heiran almost gave in. Almost. But it wasn't the first time he had used that trick and she wasn't going to fall again. Min Yoongi was a manipulative little bish who knew exactly how to make her react.

"I'm going for Japchae! Who's up?"

...

"How about spicy chicken feet?"

...

"Alright, then. Grilled meat!"

...

"Well... It's okay if you don't want it. I'll have it all alon—"

"Grilled meat. Deal."

He knew food was her weakness and that it worked on her every single time. Dammit! Yoongi suppressed a smirk as he commented under his breath. "Too easy."

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

"Nothing!"

* * *

"There is absolutely no connection between the high school students and the Chae couple. They were chosen at random." Heiran informed Jungkook as she strolled inside the office, a bunch of work papers in her hand that she dumped over the table.

"I heard about that but did you know that the high school students were actually a couple?" Jungkook posed, raising his eyes from his paperwork. Heiran nodded her head.

"The detectives think that could be the pattern." She supplied, "And honestly, I think it's quite plausible."

"You think couples are the ones being targeted?"

"Mhm. I don't see any other co-relations between the crimes." She walked up to the whiteboard adding to their little evidence board on the latest updates. The picture of the male student victim caught her eyes, the message etched on his skin silently taunting her.

Catch me if you can.
               — Y

"What do you think 'Y' means, Prosecutor?" Heiran turned around, pushing her circular glasses back. It had been plaguing her mind for a while and from what little she had gathered so far of the defendants Prosecutor Jeon had recently sent to prison, it had nothing to do with them. She had no idea what it meant. Was the signature 'Y' chosen for a reason? Did 'Y' stand for a name? A clue? Or perhaps...

"A red herring," Jungkook spoke up, completing her thoughts.

"You don't think it could be a clue?" Heiran questioned, taking a seat as she faced him and Jungkook shook his head in reply.

"I don't trust anything that comes from the culprit." He explained, crossing his fingers in deep thought. "The 'Y' could be a distractor. Something to throw us off the trail or worse land us in a trap."

Heiran had to Ooh. She understood the Prosecutor's hesitance; a culprit usually wouldn't reveal anything that could potentially disclose their identity, unless they were some psycho who was too confident in their schemes. It was feasible that what Jungkook said could be true. It could be a red herring but a nagging feeling at the back of Heiran's mind kept her from completely dismissing it out of her thoughts.