//Relieved//

I wasn't going to post this chap today, 'cause I felt like it would be better with some time in between, but I decided to pity you, so, yeah.

hey, remember when I named a chap //relief// and the relief in it ended up being a lie? Hehehe.

-----

As I opened my eyes, all I saw was white.

Then my eyes started to adjust to the brighter lighting, as I blinked them wearily. I inhaled deeply, feeling as if it was the first time in a while. I moved to sit up quickly and winced, pain shooting up through my chest.

I gasped and laid back down, panting for breath. On my face was a mask thing– a non-rebreather mask. I grunted and sat up slowly this time, pulling it off over my head.

My surroundings... a bed with white sheets, my arms resting outside of the comforter. I looked like I was in a hospital room now, and panic filled my chest. I didn't recognize my surroundings at all. In  my left arm was an IV, connected to an IV bag. I reached towards it, with the instinct to yank it out–

Then I remembered that it would be stuck in a vein, and pulling it out would probably cause a bloody mess. I paused now, moving my hand away–

"Good choice."

I flinched, and looked quickly in the direction of the voice. There was Yuugo, sitting quietly on a couch in the side of the room. As soon as I saw him, I was relieved. And then I remembered what was going on, and saw the look on his face.

He looked grumpy.

I turned away from the IV and leaned back in the bed, sucking in breath slowly. "...hey, Yuugo..." I murmured, nodding my head in greeting.

A few feet away sat Ray, leaned on the other side of the couch, sleeping with a book resting open in his lap.

Yuugo crossed his arms, bringing my attention quickly back to him. "Where did you go?"

I swallowed drily, fiddling my fingers. "To... Day and Night..." I glanced down to the bed I rested in, before meeting Yuugo's dark eyes again. "And... it wasn't to make a promise..."

"Because of the secondary condition?" Yuugo offered lowly. "to alter memories?"

I nodded glumly. "I worried that X would change everyone's memories and then send you back."

"X?" Yuugo repeated. Ah, he didn't recognize the demon tongue.

"The One." I elaborated, fidgeting with the bedsheet.

"Thought so. What happened after that?"

I hesitated. "It's... a long story."

Yuugo shrugged, leaning forward. "We've got time."

My eyes flicked to Ray, back to Yuugo, who's eyebrows raised.

"Him?" he jabbed his thumb in Ray's direction. "He's fast asleep." As if to prove a point, Yuugo reached over and gently smacked Ray's face with the backside of his hand. The ravenhead didn't stir, continuing his slow, steady breathing.

I chewed my lip nervously. "Well... I guess... about six months ago–"

"Why not start from the beginning?" Yuugo hummed. "November 2047, wasn't it?"

I fiddled my fingers nervously. "It's not... so relevant, though. And not much happened at first."

Yuugo shrugged. "I want to hear it."

I sighed. "November 2047... I made the promise. And then... well, I went back to the castle with Sonju and Mujika... and I spent the first several months buried in the library."