Buried Breakout

Today's fanart is an ANIMATION, which is SO COOL!!! It's by Chocotrufflattai! It's the scene from The Sin of a Miracle where Camilo catches (y/n) stealing the candle. AHHH ITS SO DRAMATIC AND PERFECT

BACK TO THE STORY

"I can't shapeshift. At all."

"What? Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," Camilo quickly confirmed, his hazel eyes panicked. "I'm trying, right now. And it's not working." He concentrated, squeezing his eyes shut again, but his form remained a lean, messy-haired teenager. 

"Okay, okay," you consoled him. "Don't worry, it's probably not permanent. Do you think it's the mountain? Is it blocking your gift?" 

"No," Camilo vehemently insisted. "I shape-shifted into a toddler, remember? That was in here. C'mon," He muttered to himself. With a focused grimace, he shook his hand as if flinging off drops of water. His hopeful face fell like shards of a shattered mirror. Nothing had changed. 

"Hey, Luisa?" You gently called up. "You can't use your gift, can you? That's why you haven't escaped?" 

Luisa forlornly shook her head, despondently dangling from her chains on the wall opposite you. Red, inflamed welts painted her wrists around the stony cuffs. That's got to hurt. 

"The chains," you suddenly blurted, your eyes sparkling with discovery as you twisted your neck to study them. "I'll bet their material blocks the miracles."

"Hey, look," Camilo said, leaning behind you to wrap his fingers around your chains. His warm breath battered the back of your neck. You shuddered at his sudden closeness, curling your shoulders protectively. 

"Oh, sorry," Camilo stammered, awful guilt flashing in his eyes. He slowly blew air through his lips. "Sorry, uh, that was a little close. I'll back off." 

"No, no, it's fine," you feebly promised, a moment too late. Camilo's eyes shone with a confused, unspoken question. Were you not comfortable with physical contact yet, or were you scared of him? 

"Anyways," Camilo coughed, avoiding your gaze. His cheeks darkened with embarrassment. "The chains on your hands connect behind the dirt. If I dig far enough, I think I can get you out." He frowned at the ground, tracing his shoe in an arc. "Sorry. I'll stay back from you while I do it."

"Okay." That was all you could think of to say. 

"As soon as you're free, run," Camilo seriously ordered, burrowing his hands through the dirt. The dark brown, packed sand must have stung in his open cuts, but he didn't flinch. 

"What about you? I'm not leaving you behind," you stubbornly objected, yanking your hands to help ease the chain out from the wall. 

"No. I told Dolores to get us after two days. She'll be walking into a trap. You need to warn her, (y/n)," Camilo resolutely insisted, not even glancing up from his dirt-smeared hands. "And I'll be fine. Don't even worry about it."

"Camilo, they'll hang you up there like a puppet," you softly argued, skimming your eyes over his golden-brown features. Swollen scratches crisscrossed the silky caramel of his forehead, and flecks of dust dully clung to his dark eyelashes. You felt repulsed by the idea of a starved, skeletal shell of Camilo drooping from raw, shackled wrists. 

"You getting to Dolores is the only hope we have of saving my family," Camilo pressed, swallowing hard as he apprehensively scanned the weary, captive Madrigals. Was he imagining himself painfully racked next to Isabella? 

"But-"

"Show Abuela the chains. Maybe she's seen them before." 

"No, Camilo, I don't want to," you sulked, desperately staring at Camilo. With a crumbly avalanche of dirt, you tumbled away from the wall, your chains liberated. They still bound your hands together, but now you could escape. 

"Alright, listen. I'm gonna be straight with you," Camilo frowned seriously, gently running a finger over his black eye. "I know you want to only think about me. But I need to think about my whole family. Can you do that?"

"You're gonna get hurt," you mumbled, a ball of ice forming in your stomach. You already knew you had to leave. 

"Come on, It can't get much worse. They've already beat me up pretty bad."

"Is that supposed to make me want to leave you here? What's gonna happen to you when I'm gone?" 

"I'll be counting on you to save me," Camilo grinned. He smoothly winked, the corner of his lips twitching into a half-smile. "Now get out of here, Mariposa."

"Fine. But if you die, I'll kill you," you warned anxiously as you backed out of the cavern. Camilo just laughed, tilting his chin up bravely. 

You rushed through the tunnels, your feet sloshing through muddy, underground puddles and your chained hands clinking noisily. Too noisily. 

An outraged, masculine roar echoed through the tunnels. Your heartbeat ripped from your chest, but you thundered toward the trapdoor.

"Someone's here! Don't let them escape!"