01| Finally,

Blood

Blood.

Blood.

Blood.

The stench of blood assaults my senses, nearly knocking me out. Despite this, I shake my head, flutter my eyelids, and battle to stay awake. I couldn't sleep and let him do everything he wanted to me. I've already lasted a year, so what's a couple more? Even if it's only for another week, I'd rather put off the inevitable as long as possible.

My head thumps against the wall, the pounding in my ears mirroring the pounding in my skull. It hurts more and more each day, until it's the only thing I can hear. My ribs are on fire from the sheer motion as I breath shakily. I whimper, my hands limp beside me, and I shift over and reposition my back to relieve the pain in my throbbing shoulder.

A hand caresses my cheek and I pinch my eyes shut trying to push away the feel of his hands on me. I want it gone. Couldn't he just leave me alone? I know tears are filling my eyes and I swallow the cry that wants to rip from my already sore throat.

"Hello my future wife, how are you doing today? Ready to speak now?"

I stay silent.

"Well, you haven't eaten in three days like we planned and you're starting to look much better than before. You're losing weight. Today you can have a small portion. Wouldn't want you dying on me." He laughs out sliding a small plate of food. Though I don't reach for it. He knows I'm not asleep or passed out.

"Eat it." He demands all signs of amusement erased from his voice. The fear he once had installed into me has evolved over the years and now has become my strongest quality. It has reminded me of all the times I didn't stand my ground and is the sole upbringing of the confident and dignified women that I am.

Which is why I straighten up ignoring the pain that courses through me, grinning up at him even as the wounds on my body scream at me not to move. The cold blood that runs down from my forehead cools my burning skin in a euphoric way. I spit the blood gathered in my mouth across his stupid pristine black shoes. I take the plate that has a slice of bread with a side of yogurt on it, giving him one last look before I whip it across the room.

"You know, Nicholas." I say thoughtfully and don't pay mind to the glare he has set on me as I continue. "You need me. You have made it your life's work to have me by your side no matter the price. Now me on the other hand, I only have a few things that I would die for. That is my family and my friends. I would do anything for them. And now that you took me from them, I have no true meaning to live. So I'd rather starve before I ever and I mean ever stand beside you to be your fucking wife." I seethe looking up at him and see the vein at his forehead bulge as he angrily steps forward.

Yet I can't find it in me to get scared. He rips his hand through the air, his sharp rings slicing through my cheek adding more to the blood scattered across my face. My head turns to the side and using the arm that wasn't sore I hold my chin to bring it back to him. I smile up at him shrugging my shoulders carelessly.