Chapter 47

EDIT: Small grammar fixes only. No new content added.

Waking up from blacking out or without knowing where she is, is becoming a way too common occurrence and Amara makes a mental note to quit that shit cause it is not fun. Memories of what happened start filtering in and she remains still to not alert anyone that she is awake before she can get her bearings.

First, she catalogs her body. She is sore and tired but the bone-deep exhaustion is gone and the pain is bearable. From the tight wrappings in some areas, it is obvious whoever had found her went through the trouble of bandaging her up which s hopefully a good sign.

Next, she stretches her senses. She hears someone else in the room and has to fight to keep from tensing or elevating her smooth deep breathing. Their scent lightly washes over her and she instantly recognizes it despite only having met him once and she bolts upright. Amara instantly regrets it. Her entire body feels like a bruise and she has to close her eyes to keep her vision from spinning. An involuntary groan leaves her lips followed by a whine. This was not her finest moment y far.

"Easy there young one. You have been through much" the strong reassuring voice of Silas calms her racing heart. His hand very carefully smooths down her back and Amara can't help but lean closer to him. Her eyes open to meet warm violet ones. Her brain finally decides to work and she gasps "What happened to the pack? Did anything happen to Lyam? How did I end up her-"

A deep chuckle cuts her off and Amara flushes, taking a breath and then turning a sheepish smile Silas' way. "Do not worry, the ulfhednar have been dealt with and everyone is fine. I have let them know you are here with me and out of danger, although a bit worse for wear. I do not know how you ended up here except for your wolf possibly recognizing me as a safe place. I am proud of you young one" he ends so softly that Amara feels choked up.

Now that she is safe, all of the emotions and terror are catching up with her and tears start spilling out against her will. Silas gently pulls her close, hugging her and providing the comfort she desperately needed. In quiet tones, he explains what occurred but also his history with her family. It is a lot to take in but she feels lighter.

"You were mated to my parents- my biological parents. Does that mean, you're kind of like another dad to us?" she asks while leaning back to meet his eyes which are watering and it breaks Amara's heart who can not imagine the agony Silas has been through, all that he has lost and had to give up.

"I can be anything you want me to be young one although, I always considered you and Carter my own as well. I have loved you both from afar all of these years. I cherished every picture sent by Elsie and Ulrik and the small moments I was able to interact with Carter. I would be honored to be a part of your lives but understand if you do not wish for it."

"I think that having one more dad sounds pretty great" she answers through the lump in her throat and finds herself pulled into another hug full of love. They sit there, seeking comfort in each other, and if Amara feels tears drop onto her shoulder, well, no one has to know that.

"I am so incredibly happy you made it here in one piece Ama. Then again, you were born from fighters and then raised by fighters. I did not doubt that you would never give up until you felt secure enough to let your guard down." Silas finally speaks and a pleased blush covers her cheeks, letting the praise wash over her like a balm to her frayed nerves.

"Can you tell me more about them? My birth parents" she asks tentatively, not wanting to overstep if it is still painful for him to talk about them.

"Of course. I will tell you anything and everything. Did you know that you are the spitting image of my dear Mila? There is so much of your mother in you-" and just like that, Amara hangs onto his every word, absorbing each story into her heart. Hours pass that way and food is brought up a couple of times but Silas eats with her, never leaving her side.

Night has fallen when rapid footsteps can be heard closing in. Amara looks alarmed over to Silas but he merely smiles brightly at her so Amara relaxes just as the door opens to reveal her parents with others behind them that she can't see from her position. They rush forward, pulling Amara into their arms while fussing and checking for injuries. They speak frantically but the relief is palpable when they realize she is hurt but mostly fine.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spots Carter who comes up and smooths her hair back. "I'm glad you're okay, baby sis" he adds the last part almost self consciously but Amara grins happily up at him, excited for the chance to have an older brother. Amara's eyes shift over to Silas standing in the far corner as if he doesn't want to be in the way but the look he is sending them is both fond and sad. Amara meets Carter's gaze and tilts her head towards Silas and he gets the message. She watches him hesitantly walk toward the older man but there is eagerness in his eyes and Amara can fully relate.

"I love you guys. I know we may not be blood but you will always be my parents" Amara whispers, looking back at the people who loved and raised her. "We love you too brat" Elsie replies, trying to act tough but her eyes are shining and her voice wavers. "Always min blomst" Ulrik adds, kissing her forehead before looking back towards the door, a sly smile coming to his lips.

Amara is a little confused when he ushers everyone out of the room, promising to check on her later. It is quickly cleared up when, just as the last one leaves, Maddox steps into the room, and all of a sudden, everything else falls away. Without a second thought, Amara gets up and throws herself at her mate, completely ignoring her soreness.

Maddox catches her, lifting Amara into his arms and tucking his face into her neck, breathing in deeply as if to reassure himself that it really is her. There is a bandage around his upper arms and he looks as worn as the rest of them did but he is there and whole which is what matters most and Amara allows herself to fully fall apart within the safety of his arms.

"Ssh little wolf. I've got you, sweetheart. Fuck, I love you so much" he chokes out and Amara laughs through her sobs "I love you too my Alpha" she replies and tightens her hold around his neck.

There is so much left to address. Amara and Maddox have to finish sealing their mating bond, she has a new dad, an uncle, and a brother to get to know. There is her trip with Sina and checking on Lyam and about a million other things. Still, at that moment, everything feels perfect and she can't help but think she is really damn lucky. No matter where her life goes, she is surrounded by family and love. What more could she need?