Inner Battles

CHAPTER SEVEN
🌙

 CHAPTER SEVEN🌙

"Ares Knight"

His name kept repeating in my mind, no matter how hard I tried to fight it; the harder I fought, the more the name played. Derek had left shortly after the realization of the mysterious man's name and as I walked threw the halls thinking about my "dream," I was plagued with all kinds of inner battles about how to go about asking my parents about it.

I was tempted just to go screaming and raving at them, demanding to know what had happened at my birth, but I decided that wouldn't end well. I also thought to go calmly and ask for answers, but I didn't believe my father would tell me anything.

"I can tell you everything, my little Kitten."

My footsteps halted as the smooth, but rough voice echoed in my mind. I couldn't do that... I needed to trust that my family could do something about this, and if I went to find him, I wasn't sure how things would go. Who was I kidding? At this point in time, my whole being was considering it.

He could keep me hostage for leverage, slowly torture me to insanity, and throw me back home to die insane. I knew nothing of him or where he even lived. Picking up my feet that felt like lead, I mustered the strength to power walk down the hall, meeting the dead end and staring at my parent's master bedroom. Should I even try to gain any truths? It had been seventeen years of lies about my birth, and it scared me of what else would be lies.

"Mother?"

I waited and waited for what seemed like forever before the door slowly came open and revealed my mother softly, trying to smile at me. "Yes, my dear, is everything alright?" But unfortunately, her voice wasn't as confident or comforting as it used to be, and I fought to keep looking at her.

"I must ask you about something." She let out a breath and opened the door more comprehensively as I walked in. Their room was disheveled. An array of books, papers, and potion ingredients littered the bed, floors, and desk. I knew it was all research.

They were working desperately, but based on what I saw, I needed to understand what needed to be researched drastically. My mother sat on her elegant silver bed with purple and blue drapes dropping from the top four posts.

I didn't sit even as she patted beside her. I didn't know whether it would have been a good idea. I wasn't thrilled with her or my father, they'd kept a massive part of my birth out of the story for so many years, and you could say I was angry.

"Mother ... tell me about my birth again." Her hands were rustling threw papers came to a sudden halt. She seemed to pick up her breathing as she slowly looked up at me, pale as a ghost.

"You were born in December in the forest. I used to walk daily. I knew I was to deliver but did not realize how close I was that day. Then, you were a more determined girl than you are now. Your father heard my screams and came running for me with the nursery workers..."