Chapter 19

Nicholas paced the confines of the bedroom. Leo stood with his arms crossed, watching as Nicholas burned a hole in the floor.

Lafayette stood nearest the fire place, her back to the both of them. The fire crackled quietly. 

Leo sighed, suddenly breaking the tense atmosphere, "I don't have to guess what you two were doing. What I want to know is why either of you thought it was appropriate. And when do you intend to get married?"

Lafayette nearly choked on her own surprise. She turned toward her cousin, gripping her thick skirts in her fists. "Leo."

He gave her a look filled with so much seriousness that she nearly faltered. "I've let you go at your own pace with this but you've both crossed the line. He needs to marry you, Fay. What if you're pregnant?"

Dread suddenly washed over her. Instinctively she placed a hand on her stomach. She felt as if she were breaking out in a sweat. This wasn't how she wanted Nicholas to marry her. She wanted him to marry her because he loved her not because there was a baby. And not because he was forced to.

Nicholas had stopped pacing. He was staring at Lafayette, his eyes glued to her hand resting on her stomach. His mind raced as he thought of the first time they had made love. That had been almost a month ago. "Are you pregnant?" He asked, his voice steady.

She whipped her head in his direction, her eyes wide, "What?" She clutched the fabric of her dress in her hands, guarding her stomach instinctively.

Both of the men noticed and suddenly the tensions in the room were higher than ever before.

Leo unfolded his arms, his eyes glued to her. "My God, Fay... are you-," she cut him off, shaking her head, "Leo, please."

The look Leo cast on Nicholas was menacing. "I should shoot you dead. If I were any one else, you wouldn't even be able to stand right now, you do realize?" Leo warred with his feelings for a moment, clutching and unclutching his fists as if trying to decide what his next move would be. 

"You don't have to worry, Leo. We'll finish our journey and get married as soon as we arrive at my aunts estate."

Her heart was pounding in her ears. The happiness that she had expected to feel was not what engulfed her in this moment. She took a step back, knocking into the mantle of the low hanging fire place. She felt her eyes watering, she felt her breath growing short. 

She covered a hand over her mouth, forcing herself to told back the tears she felt building. This was not her plan. 

Nicholas watched her. He could see the anguish on her face and the rigidness in which she held her body. He wanted to reach for her. He wanted to hold her in his arms and promise to be good to her. But now was not the time. He had allowed himself to fall to temptation and had tarnished someone so beautiful. 

He didn't deserve her. He knew it and yet a part of him was giddy with anticipation. In a few days time, she would be his. Completely. No man would ever look upon her or touch her without him being by her side. Warmth filled every inch of him body. There was a tingling in his chest. He was suddenly filled with an energy he had never felt before.

Leo stood up straight, running a hand down his face. "I'll go and make sure all of our things are are loaded onto the coach and write a letter to my Uncle."

At the mention of her parents Lafayette felt her knees go weak. "Leo, you can't... My father will be furious. And my mother, oh God. I'm feeling quite sick all of a sudden."

Nicholas walked toward her, sitting one of his hands on her arm. He gently massaged her there and she was surprised at his sudden action of comfort.

"Go on, Leo. Send the missive. We'll be out shortly."

Leo frowned but thought better of staying, they had already crossed every line that required her to be guarded. He nodded before departing.

Lafayette watched her cousin as he disappeared out of the doors. Once the door fully shut behind him she burst into tears, unable to contain the intensity of her emotions any longer. 

"You needn't cry, Fay. This marriage will be in name only. I won't touch you again."

His words made her sob even harder. She pushed his hand away, stepping back. "I won't marry you. Not like this! Do you hear me?"

He walked toward her, firmly gripping both of her shoulders. "You have no choice. Lafayette don't you understand? I've ruined you! For God sake, if you are pregnant with my child you will start to show and with no marriage prospects to show for it, the ton will eat you alive."

She began to pound on his chest, her tears spilling down her cheeks, "I won't marry a man who refuses to admit he loves me! I won't!"

"By God, you will!" He admonished, shaking her lightly. "I will be good to you, that I can promise."

"But you won't love me! You won't hold me... you won't kiss me! I don't want cordiality from you, I want you to love me, Nicholas!" She cried.

Her cries created a knot in his heart. He grit his teeth, suppressing the urge to pull her close and kiss her tears away. 

He could not have her the way he wanted, he reminded himself. She was his bestfriends daughter. The Hughs had always felt like his family away from home. He had already caused enough turmoil.

He sighed, closing his eyes for a moment to clear his anguished thoughts. He cupped her face in his hands; gently wiping away her tears with his thumbs. "Shh, enough crying, Lafayette. We must go. We can't waste anymore daylight."

Lafayette nodded defeatedly, sniffling as he backed away from her. She quickly wiped at her face and stood up straight. 

"Well, let's get going then." She said quietly. 

*The emotions are high in this piece! Like will they find love? Will Nicholas be brutally murdered by Hany, considering she can not stand him?? Find out on the next episode of dragonball!*