Chapter 4

"I assume that you're capable enough to mix and mingle with your partners on your own," he stood near the chalkboard, writing the names of the groups he composed during his lunch break earlier that day.

"You'll have exactly two weeks to solve your cases before presenting them in front of the entire class. The group that's able to work out their case will receive an automatic passing grade for the upcoming exam."

A student in the back raised his hand. "What if more than one group figures out the case?"

"There won't be," Professor Cowell said calmly, dusting off his hands as he set the chalk back down. "Alright, that's all I have for you this morning. Stop by and see who your partner is on the way out and have a good rest of your day."

Nearly the entire class toppled down to the front of the lecture hall to look for their names—a few students leaving out with eager smiles on their faces and while others seem ready to drop out of law school.

Ally let out a sigh of relief when she sees her name next to Normani's. "Pure luck,"

"Absolutely no fucking way,"

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me,"

Lauren stared at her name written in big fat letters next to Camila's. She heard the dark-haired woman mutter something quietly beside her.

"You have something to do with this, don't you?" She said once she faced Camila.

"Me? Are you that fucking dense, Jauregui?"

"It wouldn't be the first time you pulled something like this,"

"For Christ's sake, that was sophomore year of high school. And it was for a stupid chemistry lab report!"

Lauren could see Ally and Normani giggling out of the corner of her eye.

Not backing down from her aggressive stance, she grumbled, "We'll divide up the work and just tell him we did it together. I'll be at your place tonight to talk it over."

"What if I had plans to go out?"

The raven-haired woman scrunched her face up in disgust. "Cancel them, I don't know. Not my plans, not my problem. The sooner we decide who's doing what, the less time we have to spend together."

Camila shook her head, laughing. "Man, I forgot how bossy you can be. Are you still like this in—"

"Six o'clock," Lauren interrupted her. "You better be there,"

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, sweetheart," Camila answered sarcastically.

She watched as Lauren stormed out of the classroom, leaving Ally and Normani standing near her with an apologetic look on their faces.

"She's not as bad as you think," Ally said.

"Nothing I can't handle," Camila winked at them, slinging her backpack over her shoulder as she headed for the door. "If you'll excuse me, I have a date at six o'clock I need to prepare for."

The rest of her classes carry on faster than she expected. She spends most of her torts class talking to a new friend of hers—Shawn Mendes.

He's sweet, a little bit too shy for Camila's liking, but nonetheless, the closest person she has to a friend in Connecticut.

He doesn't waste any time before inviting her out to the school's bonfire happening over the weekend, claiming it'll be the best party of the year.

Figuring that she won't have anything better to do, she reluctantly agrees and decides that maybe she could bring a girl home.