Emma's Pov (15)

I skipped two days of class, wow.

Not that I would've done it if I felt like but because I started feeling heavy on my left hand, the pain became unbearable so Mummy Joanna had to give me some pain relief to aid my healing process.

At least I can sleep at night without waking the whole neighborhood with my midnight cries.

I'm so glad Fred left as usual, whenever we had any of our regular fights he'd run off. It's the more reason I blame him, when things get difficult, he doesn't try to make it work, he escapes. He's all for the happy days and blooming times and I hate that.

Mum has to suffer through hard times alone and he'll return with a solemn face like a drenched dog to lick off the little we have. Currently, I'm not on talking terms with mummy Joana. She hurt my feelings, she severed a nerve in me that would take time to heal. The things going on in my family toughened me so much that I hardly trust people.

I only trust mum because we've been through hell alone and still striving. I promised to make life better for her when I get older and to stand by her no matter what. But that day we had that quarrel when she sided with him... She struck a cord, a very sensitive cord.

I'm guessing she feels like shit for what she did. That's why she lets me skip class for days and makes my favorite dishes without question. I'm living like a king at home.

Thinking of school, that one is out of the question but I miss it. Cheryl promised to come for a sleepover once she's done with some project.

Surprisingly I'm excited to see her and have her fill me in on the latest in school. I'm surprised when the doorbell rings and Eric Hat walks in with a bouquet.

I'm standing at the top of the stairs in astonishment.

"Hey" he smiles, raising the beautifully scented roses to my view.

"Hi" I squeak like a dork. Aw man this isn't what I usually sound like.

"I brought a peace offering for you" and I'm blushing at the moment.

"Well come on Eric, how's Catherine your mother?" mum ushers him inside.

"She's never been better"

"Oh nice, it's been a while since we hung out but we promised each other sometime later."

We're in the living room, his glacial eyes are hovering everywhere and I become sensitive immediately. I mean we've literally been to his mansion and it's nothing like our tiny suffocating hut of a house.

Damn, what would it take me not to crawl under the red rug this minute?

"Your home is homey" he confesses relaxing on the suede sofa.

Oh, shoot me already. He's trying to be nice, because who says that these days? I mean we teenagers prefer the word sleek, exotic, or dope for something nice not homey.

I grunt within me and sit across from him, my feet tapping the rug continuously. Mum makes a silly excuse of going to bake some cookies which I'm sure she's never even seen a manual on how to prepare homemade cookies but anyways she shouldn't be in our faces I'm already nervous as it is.

"Now I get to see you in a different look, it enriches my eyes" he's smiling and giving me that coy look.

I'm confused at the moment. "What do you mean?"

"You're casually dressed at home" he points out to my grey tank top and bum-short.

"Are you a perv?!" I ask impulsively and regret it in seconds because it did set him off.