Twenty

Steve had to give me the lowdown while driving back to Dustin's house. But I still don't understand what's going on. Dustin found something called a Demogorgon and decide to keep it as a pet that somehow escaped. And this isn't the first time they've dealt with it. My mind went completely blank as Dustin continues to tell me that the monsters in their Dungeons and Dragons game are real.

"Bels, you ok in there?" Dustin asked in worry from the back seat.

"Demogorgons?" I repeated unsurely. It's hard for me to believe in stuff like that but hell, I'm a vampire. If things like me are real then I'm sure there are other creatures out there that are yet to be discovered.

"Yes."

"And you kept one as a pet?"

"Yes."

"And it escaped after eating your cat?"

"Yes!"

I looked at Steve. "And you have a bat with nails that you made yourself?"

"Yeah," Steve said with a bit of annoyance. He blinked a few times before looking at Dustin through the mirror. "Wait a second. How big?"

Dustin held this pinky and thumb up. "First it was like that." Then he moved his hands to make a foot long. "Now he's like this."

"I swear to God, man it's just some little lizard, ok?"

"It's not a lizard."

"And I'm pretty sure lizards can't open it's face up and eat cats," I commented.

Dustin gave me a proud smile. "What a woman. Usually, people don't believe us in stuff like this and think we're crazy."

Steve and I exchanged a look before he came to a complete stop in front of Dustin's house. "Trust me, Dustin, Bela's full of surprises," he said before getting out of the car.

I rolled my eyes as I followed him out and went towards the trunk. "Look, Steve, this is just another bump in the road. This gives us more time for you to think up ways to win Nancy back." Steve sighed and opened his trunk. He reached forward and, behold, pulled out this famous bat. "Why is it in your trunk?" This time he gave me an apologetic look. Is he serious? Was he really gonna use it on me? "You've got to be kidding me."

"I didn't know if you were gonna drink me dry," he whispered before closing the trunk. He handed me the flashlight before we made our way around Dustin's house, mostly toward the entrance of his basement.

"It won't do you any good," I said. "I'm faster than you and could easily break it before the nails could hit me."

"I was hoping for the element of surprise."

"What surprise?" Dustin wondered as he caught up with us.

Steve and I looked at each other before shaking our heads and saying, "Nothing."

I perked my ears up to see if I heard any growling or thudding coming from the inside. "I don't hear anything."

"He's in there," Dustin said. He grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "And stay behind us, Bels. It's better if Steve gets eaten while we make our getaway."

"Hey!" Steve objected the idea.

I chuckled as I placed my hand on top of Dustin's head. "How sweet."

"Not sweet. Now can you hold the flashlight up?" I held the flashlight up before Steve started to hit the chained-up door with his bat. I didn't hear anything coming downstairs. He looked at me for reassurance and I shook my head. Steve looked at me again before hitting the door again, which I have him the same response. He looked annoyed before glaring at Dustin. "All right, listen, kid. I swear, if this is some sort of Halloween prank, you're dead."