1 | Arrival

Doodles By Me!

A young Alma had her eyes on a certain man, candle in hand as the night's festivities continued on. They had been talking, and she was becoming more and more sure he was the one. At that moment, her hermana, Juliet, came up behind her, placing a hand on her shoulder. Alma lifted her free hand to grasps her sister's, the older woman taking one look at her before winking her honey brown eyes.

"I know that look! Who's the lucky guy?" She didn't give Alma the time to answer, a knowing smile gracing her lips, "It's Pedro, isn't it."

"How'd you know?!"

"You two have been gazing at each other all night." She pointed out, poor Alma blushing a bit in embarrassment. The taller woman's eyes glimmered, "When's the wedding?"

"Juliet..." Alma rolled her eyes. Her sister was always like this. She tried to shake off the slight embarrassment at the happiness the thought of marrying Pedro brought her. The man was just across the sea of people, holding his own candle, waving towards them.

Juliet peeked at Pedro, and then at her hermanita, and her grin widened, "I want mi sobrina's name to be "Julieta", after mi, okey? I have a feeling you won't make your hermana wait long."

"Juliet!" Now she couldn't fight back the embarrassing red spreading across her cheeks.

It wasn't long before her sister's words came true, though. She was happily married to the love of her life, and not long after, was blessed with triplets. Juliet always had that sort of gift, her hunches and gut feelings were almost always accurate, to the point it was sometimes scary.

Don't get Alma started on the moment her eldest daughter was born. When the hard labor was over, Juliet wouldn't stop singing and dancing, chanting that she got her wish. Holding on to her promise, her little girl had been named "Julieta".

The woman actually cried with joy, and her own son, Enrique, was no different. He was his mother's clone if she were a boy. They each took turns holding her three babies, threatening to steal them from her because they were so cute. Needless to say, it was a wonderful day full of joy and laughter.

Alma had thought her life would remain like that, with all of the pieces of her heart by her side laughing like that.

One night, as she put her babies to bed, Juliet took her by the hand. Enrique was asleep by Bruno's crib, having sung the triplets to sleep. Pedro was in another room, having gone out for only a moment.

The woman's usually playful smile became more genuine, and the way she had looked at her... Alma would never forget it. There was a warmth and a depth that the younger Alma just couldn't fathom at the time. Her eyes almost glowed with the candlelight, looking deep into her heart, maybe into the depths of her very soul.

"Juliet...?"

"I hope you know how proud I am of you, Alma," She had said, the air around her more mature than Alma had ever experienced. "You have been blessed with gifts beyond measure; treasure them."

"Of course, I will, with all of my heart." Alma had answered, unsure of why her sister was telling her something so obvious. But that look in her eyes told her to answer with the truth, and nothing but the truth.

It was as if she had known something when she said those words...

And maybe she did. Maybe she had gotten one of her famous gut feelings and was compelled to tell her those things. Back then, Alma let that thought pass her by... but now, fifty years later, she thought differently.