Chapter 12

"Izzy! We got your text. Where exactly are we?" Alec announces our presence.

"It's an old meatpacker's service entrance," the dark haired girl elaborates as we start walking further into the establishment. "If we go back there, we come up into the basement of the Hotel DuMort. Perfect, right? We distract the vamps, Clary and Jace have time to find Simon."

"Got it, keep the vamps away from them three as long as possible." I summarize.

"Okay," Alec dismisses, causing me to roll my eyes at his tone.

"Okay? It was hard work interrogating Meliorn to get this intel."

"Great job, Izzy," he congratulates in a high, mocking voice, only for it to drop to his normal one with his next sentence. "You have faerie dust on your dress."

"Leave your sister alone Alec. It can be difficult to interrogate Seelies after all, they're good at evading and distracting."

The raven haired beauty sends me a smirk that turns into a thankful smile and I return it with a small smile of my own.

"Well I also hate being the distraction."

"I don't." Alec doesn't respond and walks ahead of us. "You know, you'd be a lot happier if you weren't so damn repressed," Izzy calls out. I stay silent as I feel it isn't exactly my place. "Alec? Hello?" She tries again, drawing out the o. The boy only sighs and walks further ahead of us.

The girl shakes her head in annoyance and I just give her a pat on the shoulder before following him.

Eventually, I end up in front of both Lightwood siblings and the two are having a conversation side by side that I tune out of, not trying to invade. I climb up a ladder and when I get to the top, I wait at the top for them. Once they're both up, we quickly make our way through this pipe area and to a door.

"This must be the way," Isabelle announces as she opens it, only for us to close it right away, a group of vampires waiting on the other side.

Alec quickly moves to look for his stele in order to draw the locking rune.

"Any day now," his sister rushes.

"Yeah, if you two would hold the door still, it might be a lot easier." He finally gets it out of his pocket, only for the rune not to work.

I sigh in frustration and take out the seraph blade that was in my quiver. I swiftly move to slice one of the pipes above us and slot the newly broken pipe between the door handle and the pole that was right next to the door.

"Whoever said, "The pen is mightier than the sword," was an idiot." Izzy sighs in relief, flashing me a grin.

"When you're right, you're right," Alec relents.

We all step away from the door and prepare ourselves for when the vamps evidently break through.

"Do you think they know where we are?"

"That's the idea, right?" The dark haired boy questions back as a hand makes its way past the poorly blocked door, searching for the pipe to open it. "How long do you think we have to distract them for?"

"Ten more minutes," Iz responds like it's nothing.

"Ten? We'll be liquid lunch in 5."

"Or have our heads ripped off, that's always fun," I comment sarcastically.

"So let's distract them."

"So let's distract them," Alec and I repeat after the ravenette.

The two of us then aim our arrows at the door, Izzy's whip slithering down her wrist and into her hand as the vamp grabs the pipe and throws it out of the way. She wraps her weapon around the first one's leg, pulling him toward her. Alec tracks and shoots the one that tried to dash to the left of us. I release my own arrow before the third one can even leave the doorway. Briskly drawing another one, she waits for more to dare come in view of the entrance.