XXIV

Adria bathed and changed. The garments supplied by the maid weren't what she was expecting for a formal function. The black pants were form fitting, like what she wore behind the safety of Wall Sheena, accompanied by a white long-sleeve blowse. The sleeves were puffy, and the collar was tightened by two strings. She wore her Survey Corps boots out of necessity and left her hair long and unbraided.

        Viktor whistled upon her approach and opened the carriage door for her, "Gorgeous."

       She barely recognised him. In the space of a few hours, he'd had his hair cut and presented at attention in a suit. If it wasn't for his trademark smirk, Adria would've assumed he was a body double. Viktor's unruly hair was now neatly shaved in an undercut, with the top portion left longer. A few of his curls escaped over his brow.

        The maid adjusted the lapel of his suit and nodded in approval. Adria was unsure of the potential relation between the pair, but Viktor tensed in her presence.

         "Is Marley as you'd hoped?" the maid asked.

         Her question took Adria by surprise, she'd been distracted eyeing the civilians on the street playing board games and drinking. Others were shepherded around by military guard. She cleared her throat, "I had no expectations. All I know is that my family have been loyal to this country."

         "To an extent," the maid quipped.

        Just as quickly as it came, the conversation died out. 

        Adria crossed her thighs and continued to stare out the carriage window as it teetered into the main square. The entire area was set up like a spectacle and lined with seating. It was also armed to the teeth with rifled guards.

         As the carriage rolled to a stop, Adria's arm was pulled by an arm guard. Despite Viktor's subtle protest, the maid nudged him to the opposite side of the walkway.

      Adria clutched the turquoise pin beneath the collar of the blouse and kept her eyes up. She couldn't afford to be perceived as weak. Despite her alleged family ties to this nation, she presumed there was a lot of unrest about her return–not that she was planning to stay for long.

       She was seated at a long table which lined a wooden stage. Her lids flickered at the brightness from the flood lights positioned around the square's fortifications. The central part of the square was vacant for whatever purpose and enclosed by sitting guests. Adria couldn't believe the diversity, there were garbs and clothing designs she'd never seen before and people of different ethnicities. How secluded had they been in Paradis?

       Willy stood from his seat and welcomed the guests, "Thank you everyone for joining me in tonight's festivities to welcome the return of Helos, to our shores."

      Who?

      Adria looked past the maid, who separated her and Viktor. Her jaw was clenched tight.

       Actors and actresses, dressed in old-fashioned regal clothing and wearing masks culminated in the square. Obviously, Willy intended to put on a show.

       He recounted the conflict involving 'Devils on Earth', where one brave man—Helos, defied all odds to succeed. Helos' involvement in the Great Titan War assisted Marley's win against the main Eldian state and restored balance to the world. Helos was responsible for killing the main 'Devil'—what Adria assumed was the main Titan at the time.

        Adria swallowed; this was entirely different to what Zeke had shown her.

         The women spun in circles and cowered at a man who twirled into view. He was tall, lean and wore a maroon leotard. His face was distorted by the brim of a feathered bicorn hat. Willy emphasised that this was his depiction of Helos.