────── thirty-four

═══ ON THE HORIZON ═══

Sunrise the following day was the time when Akiko made a decision, driven by the urge to protect her loved ones. Only months ago, she had felt as though the whole world was against her, like she would have to punch through wall after wall all by herself until she would finally escape the prison built by Hoshino Ken. But now her family was beginning to heal from past traumas and a fresh start was on the horizon, speaking a promise of a happily ever after.

Yet Akiko had the suspicion that some time in the future someone or something would attempt to disrupt their peace once again, which was her motivation to approach grandfather Sano and Mikey about continuing her training.

Junto might have been a strong fighter back in the day, but being in a coma had surely weakened his body and the muscles would have to be strengthened and trained all over again before he could even move like a normal person again. The thought of him being unable to defend himself against potential threats, and with Yin, Yang and Kurayami still on the run, the girl was not going to take any chances and challenge her luck.

If she had to, Akiko would become the very shield that would encase her family and protect them.

Tokyo Manji Gang, Black Dragon, Fengari — all these groups were strong on their own and a force to be reckoned with when they joined their strengths. Compared to them, Akiko was still weak.

One day, she told herself, she would be able to stand on the same level as them.

"Are you sure?" inquired grandfather Sano, his sharp eyes took in every feature of Akiko's face, closely monitoring her reaction. "If your will isn't strong enough, you won't make it very far."

They were sat around a kotatsu in the living room sipping on herbal tea as the golden rays of sunlight reflected an array of colours through the window now that the leaves had lost their green. The cold was seeping in stronger with every passing day.

"You'll be faced with many defeats and trials," he continued, taking a silent gulp of tea. "Setbacks are part of the journey. Is your resolve strong enough to keep going?"

Little did they know that Mayu was listening in on their conversation while she prepared breakfast and bentos in the kitchen, allowing Emma to sleep in, which the blonde was more than happy about. The woman heaved a sigh, a shake of her head displayed her discontentment with Akiko's wish.

"Shin and I have had this conversation before," Akiko told her grandfather. "I know what I'm fighting for, or rather who. Giving up is not an option for me."

Grandfather chuckled. He was smiling. "You are much like your parents. You have the warrior spirit of your father and the perseverance and mental strength of your mother. There is a fire burning in your heart and for as long as you keep it alive, no one can steer you off your path. If you really want to master the martial arts, I will help you."

Immediately, Akiko's whole face lit up. She clumsily stood up and stumbled around the table, quick to squeeze the life out of granfather Sano. The old man laughed, patting the girl on the head.

He, too, knew what was at stake. Back then, he had failed to protect his family, had allowed for his own daughter to fall into misery and misfortune — he was not going to make the same mistake twice. After all, he was still the head of the family.

"Arigatō! I will do my best!" Akiko exclaimed at the top of her lungs. She paid no mind to the sleeping inhabitants of the house.

Her feet seemed to fly across the floor when she rushed into the kitchen to share the news with her mother.