Chapter 43

My cat has found a liking for jumping on my shoulders. It's cute but imagine brushing your teeth in the dark and suddenly somebody uses their whole strength to get on your shoulder. My poor heart.

An exhausting time later, you arrive at Gunyun Stone Forest

An exhausting time later, you arrive at Gunyun Stone Forest. "I... haven't swum... this much... for a really... really long time..." You lay down on the sand to catch your breath.

Aether does the same. "Do we have... the time to talk about what happened now? You still haven't explained a single thing."

"Paimon is curious about that too. You vanished for more than a week and then, whoosh, you reappear just as suddenly."

"At first Childe happened, then I had some more relaxing time with some adeptis and then, the reason why we had to run, Zhongli happened."

"I... Are you alright?", Aether rolls over so that he faces you now.

"Yeah... my trust in humanity is damaged but overall, I am unharmed. For future reference, in the case that either Childe or Zhongli ask for me, you know nothing."

Even Paimon looks kind of worried now. "Why do things always escalate so much when you leave our side?"

"Some sort of strange karma, probably."

Aether takes your hands into his own. "I will make sure that something like that won't happen again, I promise."

"That's... sweet." You pull your hands back and stand up. "Anyways, we need you to get going and sign you up for a contest."

"A contest?"

"Yes, okay not necessarily, but the person who is capable of getting us to Inazuma would probably like to see you in that competition."

"Are you sure?"

You give him thumbs up. "99% - as long as my existence didn't mess something up."

Aether still doesn't seem convinced. "Is going to Inazuma really going to help us in any way? Am I going to meet my sister there?"

"...Does that mean that during the time I was away no clues nor a strange man named Dainsleif appeared?"

Paimon shakes her head. "No? We've been doing smaller jobs and requests in hopes that we will find you during that, but we haven't found any clues or heard about that man. Is he important or something?"

"Something is wrong, I can feel it..." You sigh. "I guess it doesn't matter now... Let's just get going. Ah, before I forget it: For safety reasons I will watch everything from afar and officially you haven't seen me, alright?"

With an extremely serious expression Aether makes eye contact with you. "Make sure that nothing happens you in the meantime (Y/N). I trust you that you know what you are planning and doing."

You salute with a wide grin. "Aye, aye captain! I will do my best to meet your expectations."

While Aether walks straight to the place where the contest is supposed to be held tomorrow, you climb up one of the tall rocks to get a better overview and to remain unnoticed by other people. You watch Aether talk to Beidou, Kazuha and the other contestants. As far as you can see everything seems to go smoothly.

Not all that much later, Rosa is fast asleep on your chest and you observe the night sky. "Only one more day and then we will be in Inazuma... I really need that change of scenery. Rosa, I think you would look beautiful under a sakura tree. Maybe Aether can take a picture of us."

With that in mind, you fall asleep too.

Later that night you wake up feeling thirsty. Brushing off that disturbing sensation is impossible, so you hesitantly open up your eyes only to see a shadow looming over you. Out of shock you almost fall down from the rock. "Oh god Jesus Christ, what is wrong with people?" Taking a second look at the person next to you, you recognize the white hair with the red strand of hair. "...Hi?"

"Could I ask you why you are hiding up here?" Kazuha's face is completely calm.

"...Waiting for Aether to win the tournament so to go to Inazuma? He told you about that, right? Not about me but about the Inazuma-part."

"That doesn't precisely answer my question."

"Ah, why I am hiding... Ehh... Avoiding people I guess? A rumor about me being here could end up... unfavorable for me."

"There people searching for you? You do not particularly strike me as a criminal..."

You shake your head. "I am certainly no criminal. Some people are just unreasonable or I don't know what's wrong with them. You can ask Aether if you don't believe me."

"I see. There is no need to check if your story matches his. I already suspected that you and the Traveler belong together. Both of you have similar traces on your clothes."

"You could also conclude that out of Aether's slightly nervous behavior because of which he tends to look off into the distance, seemingly searching for somebody. That's, I think, even easier."

"Yes indeed, that would be another point. Should I bring you something to eat and to drink? You probably didn't have dinner."

"That would be very kind of you."

Kazuha stands up and climbs down without making any sound.

"Yas bítch, we don't have to starve up here!"

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!