Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

Chapter Eight

Maddie

"I'm just saying..." Maya giggles like we're back in high school again, bouncing Izzy on top of her knee. "You can't tell me that this doesn't seem just a little bit like fate."

"This is not fate, Maya. I got pregnant because we were stupid and didn't use protection. It's science."

I'm scrubbing aggressively at the kitchen counter to make sure everything looks spotless. Cameron should be arriving in about an hour or so, and thankfully Maya woke up early this morning to come over and help me watch Izzy. I needed to deep clean.

"Regardless, I think you guys are meant to be together. Despite what happened."

"You mean despite the fact that I hid a whole child from him?" I arch a brow up and let out a frustrated sigh. "I messed everything up between us again, and at some point, I have to wonder if it's fate that we not be together."

"But you want things to work out," she implies.

"Says who?"

Maya turns to look at Izzy and makes her voice all high-pitched and baby-like. "Your mommy is delusional," she says sweetly. "She's been scrubbing the same spot for ten minutes now, but if she says she doesn't want things to work out then I guess we should listen to her."

Rolling my eyes, I finally put the sponge back on the side of the sink. Izzy is reaching out to Maya's nose ring that she's so obsessed with, but Maya grabs onto her hand to hold it instead.

She truly has been the most incredible best friend since I've had my daughter. It's funny because taking one look at Maya you wouldn't think she'd be so good with kids. Since we've left high school she's gotten multiple piercings, a full sleeve of tattoos on her left arm, and the tips of her black hair change to a different color of the rainbow every month.

"Don't you have better things to worry about?" I ask. "Like planning a wedding?"

"Planning a wedding is stressful. I'm much more invested in the you-and-Cam situation."

"There is no Cam and me," I mutter. "After the fight, our main focus is Izzy right now. I'm not worried about anything else at this point."

"If you say so," she sings, clearly not believing me.

Knocks on my apartment door echo into the room, and my eyes grow wide. He wasn't supposed to be here for another hour. What in the hell is he doing here so early?

"Oh my god." I start to panic, my hands immediately going up to my hair. "I haven't even done my hair or my makeup yet."

Maya stands up from the barstool, giving a quick kiss to Izzy's cheek before she passes her over to me. "And you say it's all just for Izzy." She giggles, becoming serious when she notices how frightened I am. "You are going to be fine, Maddie. Cameron has literally seen you at rock bottom. Don't you remember back in freshman year when he and Ethan made you look like a man with a sharpie marker? You couldn't get the beard off for a week."

This causes me to laugh, and in seconds I find my anxiety dissipating. She's right. Cam has seen me at my worst plenty of times before. This is no different.

He knocks again, and Maya grabs her purse off the counter. "Just relax," she says. "I love you. You've got this. But I swear to god if you don't call me later tonight to tell me how things go then I'll never forgive you."

Maya opens the door, and Cam seems surprised to see her. "Oh, hey!" He smiles and gives her a quick hug. "I didn't know you'd be here today too. How have you been?"