Chapter Eighteen

The weather in Italy was fantastic. Already, Isabella could see herself taking long leisure swims and sun-basking. A smile appeared on her face as they made their way down the steps of the private jet straight into the cool air conditioned car waiting for them. The man who came to get them smiled kindly to her and Liam. He had beautiful olive colored skin and his dark hair glimmered in the sun. His eyes crinkled in the corners as he spoke to them with a polite smile in his face.

“Welcome to Florence, signor Vergil and signorina Stanford. Signor Miguel is looking forward to having you at his estate for the weekend. My name is Alesio Miguel and I'm signor Miguel's younger brother.”

As he talked, the car made its way out of the airport into the ancient city. It was a beautiful and lovely city with so many activities going on. The Florence town squares were full of people enjoying the beautiful weather and listening to folk-music from several street musicians. Isabella found herself longing to get out of the car and take part in the celebrations.

Flocks of birds gathered under the ancient monuments crooning and feeding from the various people around the big fountains.

Alesio took time to explain what Florence was all about. He stated the fact that the tourism industry has grown rapidly for the past few years that vehicular movement around the city was problematic and so they were considering re-establishing the trams that were once there but were removed when the car became popular.

“But its a push-pull situation because the residents of Florence, although they need the trams, they believe that it will devalue the ancient buildings rich in history and hence reduce the number of tourists coming into the city.” Alesio concluded.

“The city is quite densified and the only way it would work is if it has an efficient transport system.” Liam stated looked out the window.

Alesio grinned. “Signor Miguel has been behind the re-introduction of trams. You see, before we moved to Siena to la Casa della Fortuna and its olive plantations, we grew up in a small studio apartment right here in Florence. Nostra madre worked in a flower shop and we went to school in Florence. Back then, it was a hard life but now Florence is flourishing and signor Miguel wants to make sure that it continues to flourish. The city has many memories for us, both good and bad.”

“It's a beautiful city, signor Alesio.” Isabella smiled excitedly at Alesio.

Alesio returned the smile and inclined his head to her lightly. “Grazie, signorina Stanford.”

Liam turned to them then Isabella felt the warm hand over his. This was the first time Liam showed his affection towards her in front of anyone! Isabella felt her face go red and when she turned to Alesio, she saw the knowingly look he had in his eyes.

La Casa della Fortuna was a spectacular building! Isabella took in the three story stone house with immaculate gardens and the impressive fountain in front. The large front double door opened and a tall, well built and rather handsome man came out. He grinned speculatively at both her and Liam as he came down the granite steps to greet them.

“Liam Vergil!” he clasped Liam's hand tightly then turned to her and his face changed. “Signorina Stanford, the newspapers and magazines have not done you justice. Welcome to Italy.”

Isabella's cheeks heated up as Carlos Miguel took her cool hand into his and placed a kiss on either cheeks.

“Nice to meet you, signor Miguel.” Isabella grinned.

“You must be tired from your journey.” Carlos helped Isabella up the steps with Liam and Alesio close behind. “We have prepared your rooms upstairs and I'll get my housekeeper to make a light snack for you before dinner at the terrace overlooking the olive plantation.”