Chapter Thirty Eight

Jackson Blake's POV

The last thing that my life has been is normal. When you consider the name 'Jackson Blake', normality isn't the first word that strikes you. I just can't use normal to describe myself, not when I'm lay on a surgical table being sliced open to deliver a baby.

Everything just feels so fake. The idea that people who saw me as an object only a few months ago now see me as a messiah. The idea that I was 'human' only a year ago. The idea that I'm a fertile man.

I think the initial shock is the scariest part. Do I want to have children? Of course. Did I expect it this soon? Fuck no. Did I think I could have children? What a stupid question. I feel like my bodies has been, and going, through an intense period of trauma. Like everything's opened up in the last year and everything about myself has changed. I understand myself, I'm less ignorant of the world and now I'm a different creature to who I've known all my life. Personally, I think my shock is perfectly justified really.

"Are you scared?" The words leave my lips before I even consider them, my eyes sparking as I stare up at my mate. He frowns down at me, the cogs working in his mind as he considers the question. I should probably find him humorous, a bright blue cap over his hair and blue scrubs over his clothes. Blue definitely isn't his colour. But I can't bring myself to find anything humours at the moment. I think the shocks still prevalent.

His hand squeezes mine, a lightness to his eyes as he lets them wander over my face. "I'm terrified," he admits, the whispered confession slipping from his lips like he'd told me a classified secret. A secret he never wanted to reveal.

"So am I," I whisper, and he moves up his hand, letting his fingers caress over the soft skin of my cheeks to brush away the wetness from my face. "I love you," I murmur, bringing my hand up to grab his and cradling it under my face. I need his touch right now, I need his comfort.

"I love you too, and very soon we'll have a beautiful baby girl we can both love together," he tells me, kissing my forehead, then my cheek and then my lips. I tingle as he touches me, my mind swirling with how I ended up here. Mated to a wolf, an Alpha King at that and moments away from giving birth to the new Queen. To a bundle of joy that I've created.

It's like immaculate conception...sort of. It sounds ridiculous to even consider that my prostrate has absorbed Slater's sperm, travelled through my rectum and fertilised a uterus I didn't know I had. If contemplating it makes it strange, then surely saying it aloud is pure insanity? But here I am, having my stomach cut open whilst my mate comforts me from the sidelines.

"She isn't crying," the whisper made my heart stop, dragging me from my thoughts and pulling me to the world around me. It's like the words made my heart shoot with unimaginable pain. Made the world around me slow and my body pulse with terror.