Chapter 1- Another Day

I remember you told me
That it made you believe in
No man, no cry
Maybe that's why
Every little thing I do
Never seems enough for you
You don't want to lose it again
But I'm not like them
Baby, when you finally
Get to love somebody
Guess what
It's gonna be me
- It's Gonna Be Me • NSYNC

The day was cold. A breeze drifted by, brushing the skin of every passer, raising goosebumps enough to be felt, but only so much so that they weren't noticeable. It was September 1943, and the war still wasn't over.

     Posters laced the streets in a thin layer, wishing for every capable man to sign up for the army. The propaganda worked in most cases as very few men were home anymore. Air Force planes flew overhead, practising for another event, should they be needed.

     It was nice to feel needed, but James Pevensie rarely felt that way anymore.

    It had been a year or so since they'd left Narnia that last time. A year or so since he'd last seen Caspian. A year or so since he'd been truly happy.

     That wasn't all that had happened, but it was the most prominent.

     As Aslan had promised, James hadn't been conscripted like the rest of the boys his age. Peter would be forced to fight soon, as would Edmund, if the war didn't swiftly stop.

    The Gallagher's, however, were in a much worse situation. Aslan's magic had not been directed towards them, and so, Harvey had been sent off to war within a month of their return. Then, only half a year ago, around the time that Alfie had been sent off to the Royal Navy, they received a letter.

    Harvey was MIA in Tunisia. Often, it happened. Of course it did, it was a war, but why did it have to be Harvey Gallagher. He was one of the only people who cared for James in England, and worse things kept happening.

    Peter, Susan, their mother, and their father were all in America. But not James, Lucy and Edmund. Instead, they were forced to stay with their Uncle Harold, Aunt Alberta and cousin Eustace.

    On this particular day, James was out with his siblings doing the shopping, but Edmund had wandered off somewhere along the line. He, obviously, could take care of himself, but James preferred to know what was going on.

     So, he and Lucy strolled around the propaganda filled streets, looking for their brother. When they found the church, they knew exactly what Edmund was doing. Outside was another sign up sheet; this was where the Pevensie boy had to be.

     With paper bags in hand, and James holding onto three crates, the siblings walked into the church. At the front of the line, talking to a soldier, was Edmund, attempting to look older than he was. In reality, he was a fifteen-year-old boy with a mind filled with glory.

    James leant against the wall, curious for what was going to happen. Lucy stepped forwards, sighing.

  "Edmund," his head snapped their way. "you're supposed to be helping me with groceries."

  There was a echo of laughter from the other men lining up for impending doom. The one behind Edmund ruffed his peaked cap, and said, tauntingly. "Better luck next time, eh, squirt?"

     Fixing the cap, Edmund huffed, practically storming out of the church. Both Lucy and James followed, sharing a look. It was going to be an interesting day, the eldest could tell. He didn't need his magic to tell him that.