Chapter 10: Alright! Time to Show Off!

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

Fire encapsulated the room, filling your ears with crackling flames and making it hard to breathe. Heavy footsteps were heard, and you looked up to see your father, yet he was nowhere in sight. You crawled to the middle of the room, huddling into a little ball, and sobbed. The tears evaporated right off your face, and you wheezed into your shoulder. Your vision filled with smoke - or was it unconsciousness ready to take you again?

A pained scream echoed throughout the house, gripping your heart. Its icy grip was different from the fire starting to tingle your skin - but it felt so much worse.

The heavy footsteps returned, and where the door should have been was blown off its hinges. Your breathing slowed; seemed like it was nap time... the smoke was becoming too much; only being left with the heat of the fire on your skin and your heavy breathing. Before your vision fully closed off, you were able to notice a pair of fancy, jet-black shoes.

"Grab the boy..." a cold voice commanded. "He is needed..."

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

You awoke with a startle, your body drenched in sweat. You ripped off the covers to see your body shaking uncontrollably. The events faded away painfully slow, and your body finally returned to normal.

"That was... different..." you whispered aloud. That dream was a familiar one. But that last part? That was entirely new.

Ever since that fight with the Nomu, that dream had resurfaced. You thought you had been able to control it - and it came back swinging. You were left with waking up every other morning with a shaking body and sweaty blankets.

"RISE AND SHINE, FUTURE CHAMP!" Bob yelled, bursting through the door. His grin instantly faltered, and he kneeled by your bedside. "That dream again, huh?"

"Yeah, it was. But this time there was something different. Some... person was there. I don't know who he is, but he took me for some reason. Then I woke up like this..." Just thinking of his voice sent chills down your spine.

"Interesting. Well, there's no time to waste! It's your big day after all!" Bob cheered, trying to make the situation better. He left the room for you to change and shower, and you walked out of the room feeling slightly better.

Sat before you was a protein shake, scrambled eggs with cheese, and some bacon and sausage.

"The breakfast of champions!" Bob said, spreading his arms out dramatically. "You're gonna need it for those growing muscles of yours!"

You stuck your fork into the food and laughed sarcastically.

God... working out sucked...

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

Deep breath in... deep breath out...

You had made it to the Class 1-A waiting room wearing your gym clothes, adorned with your black bodysuit underneath. Everyone else was mentally prepping themselves, their anticipation was written clearly on their faces. 

You were lying if you weren't nervous as well. Your arms were a little more toned - nothing special though. Two weeks couldn't do much for you. But all the people that would be watching. You would not use your full 'Nemesis' form unless you had no other choice. The crowd would look away in disgust and fear. They would...

"Everyone; get your game faces on! We're entering the arena soon!" Ida burst through the door and ordered. The knot of nervousness in your chest tightened. It was now or never.