Love

C H A P T E R    T H I R T Y   F O U R

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y F O U R

Red had become my trademark so when picking a gown for this evening, it was a no brainer - it needed to be red. I ran my palm down the silk and sighed. Truth be told, I hated these events.

Individually we went through full body scanners and bag checks to make sure we weren't smuggling in weapons.

I grabbed a champagne flute from a server the second we walked through the door.

"Willa, lay off the alcohol today. Yes?" Antonio glared at me with fury.

"No." I replied, chugging it back and stopping another server to swap my empty glass for a full one.

"Willa, Antonio." Simultaneously, we froze before slowly turning around to face the familiar voice.

"Father?"  Antonio asked. "What? How?"

He didn't have a scratch on him, not a hair out of place. His dark eyes set on me and his mouth quirked up in the slightest smile.

"He let me go." I swallowed down champagne too abruptly I almost choked.

"He let you go?" I questioned, finding the whole notion suspicious. "He wouldn't just let you go."

"I'm here, no?" Antonio and I exchanged a wary look. "Quit being so suspicious, I will take it from here." He walked away, heading in the direction of Nikolai, they shook hands and started a conversation immediately.

"Hey!" I flagged down a server. She had a tray of something. I turned my nose up at it. Posh people food was so tiny. "What's the canapé?"

"These are cheese and cranberry tartlets, the chef used goats cheese for a little salty flavour which compliments the sweetness of the-"

I held my hand up to stop her and took one from the tray, eating it in one bite.

"That's actually really good, you can leave the tray." She looked a little dumbfounded but handed me over the silver platter.

"Honestly Willa, you're an embarrassment." My brother chastised. "If you're going to eat a whole tray of canapés at least do it in private, the dressing room is over there."

"Mr Antonio Valentino." A large man approached us. I rolled my eyes, not wanting to listen to mafia talk. Instead I took my brothers advice and disappeared inside the dressing room.

My feet halted on the carpet, Ace was standing in front of the mirror fixing his bow tie. He wore a full tuxedo and it was honestly a better view than the Grand Canyon. Yet, I tried to turn back and leave without being noticed because I didn't want to thank him for freeing my father.