Chapter 20

I glanced down, I'm still wearing the clothes that I wore in the rain, already dried due to the night. Then I take notice of an abandoned jacket laying on the bed a bit wet due to my clothes, at least I think, I'm sweating all over so it may be due to that too. With my eyes leaving the bed, they rest on the decor of the room. There's a desk against the far wall with a stack of paper, which I believe is homework. There's a small lamp casting a small glow of light across the desk, it's a fairly plain room with dark navy blue wall and some leaf paintings hanging on the plain wall, and of course there's a small bed in the very corner of the already pretty small room. After the inspection of the room my eyes finally land on the one thing I've been refusing to look at. I take a hesitant step towards the door.

Is it locked?

Slowly turning the doorknob I exhale a deep breath. It's not, I'm not trapped here. I slowly and quietly I creaked down the stairs. And I'm met with a somewhat oddly familiar living room.

 I pretend I'm a spy and quietly sneak into the kitchen. I know, I know I should run out of this house the moment I saw the front door, which was lucky right outside the living room. But I didn't, I don't know why but something pulled me to the kitchen, it's like some kind of strong force punching me to the kitchen. So, going with my gut, here I am. Standing only a few feet away from my kidnapper, who was conveniently also in the kitchen.

—-

My eyes met with my kidnapper's back..... And he's making soup.... My mouth twisted to the side while I stared at the very familiar figure standing on the other side of the island cooking... "Soup?" My kidnapper asks, finally turning around. "Why, soup?" I asked, teasingly. He shrugged and then answered "Cause you're sick and sick people drink soup?" Then at that moment I start to panic, and don't ask me why I didn't earlier. "W-what about your father? And your mother?" He doesn't look nearly as terrified as I expected. "He got out of town." He answered simply and turned his back towards me again, ending this conversation.

I pulled out a bar stool and sat on it. Elijah, or should I say my kidnapper carefully leaned forward to slide my perfectly warm soup in front of me and then leaned back to get out a spoon to eat my soup with.

I mumbled a quick 'thank you' and dug into my soup hungrily. "This is so good." I said in between bites. He chuckled and then said a quick 'you're welcome' . I take the time to process what the hell just happened in the last 24 hours. "Wait," I frowned. "Why did you say that I was sick? I barely even sneezed." "You don't have to sneeze to have a fever." He answered. Something on my face must have shown my unsureness so he quickly added, "I checked your temperature this morning." "Oh, is that why it's so hot in here?"