Chapter 77: Let Me Go

Athena's pov

Me and Lucky sit looking at the stars in the sky on our balcony. The boys have been sleeping for hours. Emma is coming to watch Luciano and Giovanni tomorrow with the other kids. I also have the guards watching them when she leaves so I'm not worried.

I am worried about how dangerous this mission is. Adriano and I both talked about it today. We've been putting it off for 2 weeks. We can't wait any longer. The past few weeks haven't been bad, they've been good besides the past two ones.

They wouldn't want to come after anyone but us right now. The two people on top once you take out the head everyone crumbles after it. Kind of like a domino effect.

Adriano's probably telling Mia what I'm about to tell Lucky. I just don't want to see that look on his face. I know he's going to say he can't be, it's for the best. "Lucky we need to talk" He immediately becomes worried when facing me.

Tears spring to my eyes as I stare into the icy blue eyes I fell in love with so many years ago. "Athena what's wrong what happened?" A lot of things Lucky so many things stopping us from being forever.

"Lucky tomorrow the mission we're going requires so many allies and people because it's extremely dangerous. It's one of the most dangerous missions we'll ever go on. People are going to die." He wipes the tears coming down my face.

"Baby, that's inevitable, we know that. Everyone going on this mission knows the risk but it's okay because Alessandro's going to go home to Rina, Franco and Monte. Angelo is going to go home to Viola and Elio. Agosto is going to go home to Capri and Rosario. Vincenzo and Bianca get to leave the hospital going home to Vincent. Leo will go home to Emma and Eremes. Mia and Adriano will go home to Gabriele, Damiano, and Federico. Me and you will come home with Santo having Luciano and Gio waiting for us. We'll be alright bambina" He kisses my forehead I shake my head no.

"Lucky there is no one coming after anyone but me and Adriano. They want us gone, everyone knows it. Lucky If something happens to me tomorrow I need you to let me go. Trying to save me would mean more people dying. It's not worth it" His eyes brimmed with tears and he started to breathe heavily.

"No Athena I can't do that. Letting you go means my everything is gone. I can't do that, I won't do that no matter how many times you ask me too."

"Lucky when we got married I told you it was always me before you and I meant it. I will never let anything happen to you so if that means I have to die I will die for you without thinking twice. I'm asking you to do this because we don't know what's going to happen. Adrianos is telling Mia the same thing. I need you to promise me you'll let me go." Tears stream down both of our faces. His eyes full of sadness turned red and puffy.

"Athena I can't promise you that. You're not just my wife, you're my best friend. The person who makes me want to live. The person who taught me how to love. I can't lose you, losing you is losing everything."

"I hate that it comes to this but we can't take any risk. What if something does happen to me or what if we're forced to pick between us."

"Then i'd make sure I die"

"They'd come right back for me and this time they'll show no mercy they won't care who I'm with."

"Athena, I'm not going to promise you that. The minute something puts you in life or death the ambulance is already on stand by."

"I know Lucky I know. I'm sorry it has to be this way I really am"

"I love you Athena"

"I love you so much more Lucky" He hugs me tightly as our tears mix together. The stars don't look bright, they look dull and out of life.