Chapter 38

"Hello!" Rainbow Clown shouted, waving excitedly at us again.

"Don't move." Heath growled. He had his gun out but wasn't pointing it at anyone. Perhaps he knew that we weren't going to win this one. Unless Cage and Nick somehow realized what was happening outside, Heath and I were outnumbered. In other words, we were pretty much screwed.

Romeo just couldn't leave things alone, could he? Even after ten years, he still wanted Cage, Fern, and I to suffer. For Cage, it was because of loyalty gone wrong. For my sister and I, it was for our parents. My heart pounded, my palms went clammy, and my knees shook. Not with fear. I wasn't scared of Romeo's little games anymore, oh no. I was angry. I was furious. First my parents, and now Micheal. 

The sight of his dead body dangling from the shoulders of a pink-haired idiot was too much for me. 

With nothing but absolute rage and a thirst for revenge, I ran to attack the man holding Micheal. Unfortunately, Heath was in the way. Before I could even take another step towards them, his arm shot out and pulled the back of my shirt. He clamped an iron fist around my arm and gave me a murderous glare. Screaming and kicking, I tried to fight out of Heath's grip. He wouldn't let me.

The clowns watched with amusement at my fit. Some of them even laughed. 

"Oh, November." Rainbow Clown grinned. "Oh, how I've missed you. You know, it wasn't very nice running away from us back at the carnival." He took a couple steps towards us. Heath shoved me back. Rainbow Clown saw his and he made a disgusted face. "Oh, look how cute. Cage's little bitch protecting Cage's other little bitch. Well, doesn't that just melt my heart!"

Once again, Cage was a no show in all this. Couldn't they hear us?

"November, don't move-" Heath suddenly stopped and grunted, holding his neck.

"What-" I gasped as he slumped forward. Heath crashed to the ground, grunting in pain. When he moved his hand and passed out, I saw a little blue tranquilizer dart sticking from his neck like some macabre decoration. And then I realized that there was absolutely nothing but my will to protect me, I panicked. Unfortunately, it was the wrong time to panic and the right time to take action.

Gasping, I began to dash back into the house.

"Wait, November! Don't go yet!" Rainbow Clown roared. "I have a little present for you."

I stopped in my tracks, dread clenching the pit of my stomach. When I slowly turned around, I saw what I suspected. Pink Hair Clown was holding up Micheal, half dragging and half pulling him towards me. The bullet wound on his chest was surrounded by his dried blood. The bullet from Cage that killed him. Cage killed Micheal.

The door was close enough to reach. I could have easily gotten Cage's attention from the position I was in. However, I forgot about my safety and remembered my anger for Micheal's wrongful death. He didn't deserve to die. But he did. And now he didn't deserve to be dragged around like a bag full of trash. 

"Don't touch him!" My voice cracked at the sight of Micheal. They didn't bury him. That was too respectful, of course. As the clown and his body came closer, I moved away. Tears sprang into my eyes. Without thinking, I moved out of the way, nearly tripping over Heath's unconscious body, as the clown dragged him up the porch steps where I had been standing before. My arm touched something warm and I screamed, stumbling away.

"You want him?" Rainbow Clown growled, shockingly close to my ear. He was standing right beside me. When did that happen? Why wasn't I running away and screaming for help? Why was I even debating killer clowns over the rightful thing to do with Micheal's body? He was dead, he couldn't do anything. He couldn't feel anything. All because of Cage. Where was Cage? Why wasn't he coming out here to help? 

I watched with horror as the clown pulled Micheal up the steps and onto the porch. shoving his body carelessly onto the Welcome mat in front of the door. "Please." I whispered, my voice broken. I was so overwhelmed I couldn't think. Micheal was the perfect trap. Seeing him made me as submissive as the clowns wanted me to be.

"My favorite game when I was little was Ding-Dong-Ditch." Rainbow Clown said with a sick sort of amusement in his voice. "Consider it a little present from Romeo-"

I lost it at the mention of Romeo's name. Without thinking, I slapped the clown across the face. He didn't have Cage's agility, he didn't move out of the way in time. However, my retaliations had consequences as well. A stinging fist connected with my jaw. Instantly, the coppery taste of blood filled my mouth. Pain exploded across my nerves, making me see stars for a few seconds. Unfortunately, a few seconds was all the clowns needed.

Rainbow Clown appeared in front of me. Over his shoulder I noticed one of the other clowns, a particularly ugly green haired one, grab hold of Heath and pull him up roughly. They began dragging him into one of the cars. Crying pathetically, I lost my will to fight. I was outnumbered, whatever else I did would only come back to hurt me.

"He's coming, get her into the car!" Someone shouted.

Someone else grabbed my arm. I stumbled back, effectively falling into the open backseat of a waiting black car. Screaming and kicking did little to help me escape. I tried to shove the clowns away and slip past, but they were everywhere and there was only one of me. Someone else opened one of the other doors and shoved Heath into the backseat with me. The door slammed shut and locked.

"Sorry about being so rough, darling, but there's a certain someone who would like to see you again. And as much as I'd like to kill you right here, he wants us to bring you back to him alive. Have you said your goodbyes to Cage yet? It's going to be a long time before you see him again...if you ever see him again." Rainbow Clown chuckled. Something sharp pierced my neck. The strange feeling of liquid being drained under skin made me jump. 

Just like the past two times, my will to fight drained as the sedative took its course through my veins. Through the window, I noticed that the clown who took Micheal onto the porch raise his finger and press the doorbell. A present for Cage Vickers. A dead body wasn't a very good present. Someone should tell Romeo that.

Ding-Dong-Ditch didn't seem as much fun anymore. 

The door opened too late. We were already driving away, farther and farther off until the house was just a speck in the distance and trees were a blur. I closed my eyes, a feeling of artificial contentedness coming over me. Sleep was pulling my mind into an abyss of darkness until, just like Heath, I slumped over and lost consciousness on top of him.

The last thing I heard was a quiet voice whisper, "I do hope you wake up, dear."