41| Free rein

Alyssa

_______________

My decision to learn to fight as a means of protection almost becomes consuming. It's like training in the gym has offered me something, a glimpse of a girl who has power in her fingers, who controls her fate.

It's a far cry from the girl I am outside of the gym, but for now, it's enough. Between the pressure from my family, the rumors at school, Max's lingering feud with Kino, and Justin lurking around every corner, it's the only thing keeping me sane. And maybe I'll never really be good enough to protect myself, maybe in the end, I'll give it my all, and I still won't measure up. But as I pound on the heavy bag, matching the sound of my punches to Maddie's, I can't help but wonder: what if I do?

Eventually, when I feel like I'm on the verge of collapsing, we take a break. Maddie throws over my water bottle for me, which I gulp down eagerly. As gruesome as our training sessions can be sometimes, I always feel a sense of pride afterwards like I've achieved something many don't get the chance to do.

"So, I heard about this family dinner you're taking Max to tonight," she says, but I'm too busy inhaling my water to reply right away. "He sounds nervous about it. He must really like you if he's willing to put on a suit."

When I've twisted on the lid, I say, "Yeah, he's coming along for moral support. I think it's the only way I'm going to get through the night." I pause, and then, "If you want, you and Hayden are welcome to come. It might make him feel a little more comfortable." She looks like she's about to decline, so I throw in a desperate, "Please come."

She laughs and says, "Okay, but only because you asked nicely for once."

"I'm always nice."

"Sure you are. You ready for another round?"

"I can't," I say glancing at my watch. It's nearing ten a.m, which means I have just about enough time to go home and get changed before Max takes me on a surprise date before our dinner. In his words, something normal before I drag him into the lion's den tonight. The only instructions I've been given is to wear something sensible, including my shoes. And I mean my version of sensible, he'd added. Not yours.

Maddie wiggles her eyebrows and says, "Have fun."

I smile at the same time my heart jumps. As cheesy as it feels to admit it, the thought of seeing Max always makes my body tingle with excitement. It's like, for the first time, I get to be myself around somebody – flaws and all.

The rest of the morning is spent raiding my closet for something to wear that's comfortable but fitted. Despite the many messages I've sent him, he still won't clue me in on what we're doing, so I'm going in blind. I settle on a light sweater, some jeans, and my trainers – a safe bet for any impromptu occasion. I'm hoping. Then I head downstairs to where my mother is in the kitchen, noisily blending up a vegetable smoothie. I pause and contemplate turning around before she can spot me, because these days avoiding her is easier than talking with her, but I'm tired of dancing around the subject.

"Morning, honey," she says, but she doesn't look up. "You ready for the dinner party tonight? Got your dress?"

"Yes," I say, "I'm ready."

"Good." She looks up now, and her eyes soften. "I know things didn't work out with you and Justin, but at least Roger Fallon's son will–"

"Actually," I say, "I'm taking a date tonight." It is a brave thing to say to someone like my mother, but right now the thought of seeing Max later offers me some semblance of confidence.