5

Amelia's POV

I sat anxiously waiting for Daniel and his family. My heart skipped jump ropes when I saw them walking towards my table. Miley seemed filled with joy, as she talked to her father. And the woman behind them, I tried to catch her stare.

When she looked at me, I felt a sudden tremble invade my body. I looked intensely into her eyes, finding something familiar. But I didn't know what it was.

"Mom?" Miley looked at her mother. She'd paused a few feet behind them. "Come on, don't be shy."

I looked at Daniel when I heard my name. "Amelia, this is Miley's mom."

"Hi. Of course. It's so great to meet you, Sydney!" I pulled her in for a hug. She seemed tense. But warm and comfortable.

"Lovely to meet you, Amelia." Her voice softly filled my ears. But when I saw Daniel's smile, my thoughts became consumed by him instead.

"I'm so hungry I could eat everything!" Miley looked impatiently at her menu.

"You've always had a big appetite, Mikey Bear. That's why we're having a buffet at the reception."

"Really? For me? I might have a food coma before you cut the cake!" Daniel placed his hand in mine. And I felt safe.

Daniel said, "it was Amelia's idea. Always the thoughtful one."

I smiled shyly, "I want you to enjoy our day as much as we do." I looked at Miley, then at her mother. "Both of you."

"Oh, we will." Miley said excitedly. "And all Mom needs is a dancefloor to have fun."

"Hm, I haven't seen your mom dance since your thirteenth birthday." Daniel laughed. "I hope you dance at our wedding, Sydney."

Sydney smiled softly and nodded. She didn't seem to want to say much. The conservation continued between Daniel and Miley, while I tried to search for Sydney's eyes.

She focused on listening to the father and daughter conversation. Her eyes were stable on her daughter. I felt uneasy, wondering why I couldn't stop looking at her.