8

Sydney's POV

Pouring myself a glass of wine, my body felt relaxed for the first time in years. When I heard a knock on the door, I assumed that it was Miley.

"Don't tell me you forgot your keys."

When I opened the door, my hand clutched the frame when I realized that it was Daniel's sister. "You've got some nerve showing up here."

She stormed past me, and into the room. I struggled to keep my composure. "Hello to you too, Jackie." Inhaling a deep breath, I closed the door and turned to her.

"You're not here to ruin his wedding, are you?"

"And why would I?"

Jackie stared at me dumbfoundedly. "Because you always ruin his relationships!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I've prayed for him to move on since the day—"

"Cut the bullshit." She raised her hand. "You get in the way. Don't you see? Everyone fucking knows that he still holds a torch for you."

I narrowed my eyes on her. "If he truly loves her, nothing I do could get in the way."

I felt tense. Of course I knew that he still had feelings for me. I still had feelings for him. But that didn't mean that we'd end up together again.

"Come on. He has ruined his relationships with every woman because you can't let go of him. You shouldn't be at the wedding, that's all I'm saying."

"I can't let go? Wow. I'm the one who left. And I'm the one who moved three states over with my young daughter so that he could have space—"

"You mean, so that you can have space."

I rubbed my temples and toppled myself onto the couch. "Look, I don't want to be here either. But here I am. And he's getting married. He's going to get married whether I'm there or not."

"What if he looks into your eyes, and sees your misguided affection towards him. What then?"

"You're impossible, Jackie. All the feelings him and I share for each other are because of our daughter. He knows that I'll never get back together with him. I'm sure he's told you about the numerous times he's tried in the past."

"Yeah. And each time, he left another woman on his trail. You're not good for him, Sydney. He'll drop everything if you just say the word."

"You believe that? Wow. Maybe the problem is that you have no faith in him."

"I have faith that he's still in love with you."

"For God's sake. So what? I don't fucking care if he does!"

"Yet you do! I know you, Sydney. It's probably been the worst few days of your life watching him be with someone else. You might not be attracted to him anymore, but you still want him."

"That doesn't make any damn sense."

The door opened and Miley walked in. "Mom?" She looked further into the room. "Aunty Jackie, don't tell me you're lecturing her again."

Jackie said, "I'm just making sure your mother will be on her best behavior."

"And why wouldn't she?" Miley crossed her arms over her chest. "She's been nothing but considerate towards Dad's feelings."

"Considerate? Hm. If she was considerate she wouldn't be here."

"I want her here. Dad wants her here. Amelia wants her here. I think you're the only one with a problem."

I exhaled a relieved breath. Leave it to my daughter to come to my rescue.

"I should go," Jackie mumbled. "I'm only looking out for your dad's best interests." Jackie held the door knob and looked at Miley apologetically.

"Next time, keep your best interests to yourself." Miley looked at me when the door closed. I rested my chin on my knees and stared absentmindedly at the floor. "Mom, are you okay?"

"Yes. Can you order me a bottle of wine?"

"Want me to charge it to Aunt Jackie's room?"

I smiled at my daughter. "Make it two bottles then." My doubts about being there had been justified. I wanted to sink into the beautiful ocean and drift away. If only running from my problems was that easy.