11

Amelia's POV

"I'm going to miss you," Daniel said. He wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed my neck.

"It's only one night."

"The next time I see you, you'll be walking down the aisle."

I turned to him and searched his eyes for the answers to my questions. But I knew that I would have to ask. "Daniel, can we talk?"

"We are talking, my love." He clumsily placed a kiss on my neck, as his hands slid under my blouse.

"I'm serious, Daniel. It's important for us to have this conversation now."

His dancing eyes froze. "Okay." He led me to the bed to sit. "What's on your mind?"

"It's about you and your ex—"

"You have no reason to worry. She's my ex for a reason." He reached for my hands with his and squeezed.

"Why did you two break up?"

Daniel suddenly became tense. His eyes seemed dull and regretful. "Sometimes people grow apart. Why are you—"

"Because I hoped that you'd be honest with me." I stood and began to pace the room.

"What are you talking about?"

"Why haven't you told me that she's gay?" I searched for his stare, but he looked mindlessly elsewhere. "Daniel?"

"It never came up," he said.

"I know that I have no reason to be jealous. But it bothers me that you're still in love with her." His eyes met mine. And the assumption I had felt justified.

"No, of course not. She's the mother of my child. That's it." He stood and cupped my cheeks, making me look at him. "I love you, Amelia. Only you."

"Then tell me how she hurt you. You never talk about it. And I know because everytime her name comes up, I can see it in your eyes."

Daniel stepped back and placed his hand over his face. "It's hard for me to talk about that."

"We're getting married. If we can't talk about the hard stuff, our marriage won't work."

Daniel nodded. "I know." His hands moved into his hair and he groaned. "I thought we were happy. Then suddenly, we weren't. She fell in love with someone else. And I guess I never got over how much that hurt."

"Daniel."

He walked into my arms. "I love you. Okay? Whatever has happened, it all led me to you."

"That's a sweet way of looking at it." I smiled and allowed myself to feel at ease.

When he pulled away, he reached for my left hand. "I'll be waiting for you to walk down the aisle. I can't wait to be your husband."

"I can't wait to be your wife."