22

People in this city knew how to enjoy their nightlife. As night fell, the streets were still full of hustle and bustle. When one overlooked the city, the romantic yellow glow was interspersed with cold light spots, delightful to the eye.

Zhou Nan had imagined himself countless times to be a male eagle. Flapping his wings, he would fly across the sky, with the brilliant city beneath and the dark firmament over his shoulder. Freedom filled every drop of his blood.

Everything was unpredictable. Now, he indeed appreciated the modern city from this angle. However, as a dying man, there was no joy.

He fell down and slowly landed. Just as he reached the ground, a Teddy dog sprang and barked at him. Thanks to the little girl who yanked the rope, it didn’t get him.

The passers-by were shocked by the barking, and the little girl didn’t know why her puppy suddenly went crazy, feeling embarrassed.

Animals were more

sensitive than humans. Zhou Nan knew that the Teddy had seen him and was driving him away. He didn’t mean to cause the disturbance, so he had to float back

into the air, far away from the dazzling city.

He lowered his gaze and his eyes dimmed.

Somehow, it seemed that his only shelter was the small florist, and the only person who was inclusive and understanding was the one who was inconsistent between mind and speech.

Zhou Nan took a deep breath, dispelled the negative emotions and looked at the distant mountains. He decided to investigate the suspicious mountain for Chen Ming to repay the latter’s kindness.

The suburbs were far away from the lights, and mountains were very dark. Occasionally, there would be some light spots and they were the beasts’ eyes reflecting moonlight.

Zhou Nan held the tree and slowly floated forward, his eyes filled with anxiety.

People who were afraid of the dark were still afraid of the dark when they turned into ghosts. He pricked up his ears and was wary of everything in the neighborhood, and would stop at the slightest sound. If the movement was big, he would hide behind the trees and show half his head trembling.  If other ghosts saw him frightened by a deer and jumping up the tree, they would laugh off their teeth.

Zhou Nan began regretting not having stayed in the inn, but the way back was still dark. It was better to keep advancing, and perhaps he would gain something. When thinking of helping Chen Ming, he found

some passion.

After a while, Zhou Nan saw a blinding streak of light passing in the distance. Covered by the vegetation among the trees, it was looming. When he moved closer, human voices could be heard.

The light came from a flashlight.

He frowned and muttered: “They don’t rest at night? It was too much of a fuss to guard the ancestral grave with such dedication!”

Without fear of being noticed, he approached boldly, letting the light fall on his body. The next thing he saw was not an imaginary barren vast cemetery, but crops in neat rows…

Farmland.

Zhou Nan rubbed his eyes, thinking he was hallucinating — a dozen of people were devoting themselves to acres of crops. It sounded more absurd than guarding ancestral graves.

Was it some rare plant?

Thinking of this, Zhou Nan bent over and examined the vegetation in front of him. The stems were straight, with flowers blossoming on top. By the flashing lights, he could tell the petals were bright red and the center was black.

He couldn’t recognize the plant, so he had to give up and keep its appearance in mind.

Zhou Nan wandered through the field for a long time without being noticed. He calmly rubbed against the shoulders of the villagers holding scythes repeatedly, and didn’t see anything worth noting.

There were no zombies, no graves, only farmers with sharp weapons, and large-scale unknown crops. Occasionally, he heard replies like “safe” and “copied”.

Zhou Nan watched the heavily guarded land for a while, and the light of the flashlights swept through. At last, he decided to return to report to Chen Ming and ask for the latter’s opinion.