Chapter 25

The next day, Gabby and I hadn't even gotten breakfast before Mom called me.

"What's going on?" I asked nervously, holding Gabby's hand firmly in mine.

"They're letting you and Gabby see Richelle," Mom said, her voice grim.

Something wasn't adding up here. "Then why do you sound so upset?" I asked. "That's good right?"

"The doctors don't think it's necessary to protect her from infection anymore," Mom said.

And I understood. "Because they think she's..." My voice trailed off. I couldn't even say the word.

Mom didn't even answer. Instead she said," Dad's coming to pick you up."

I uttered an okay and hung up quickly so I didn't start crying right in that moment on the phone.

I've had to watch one of my best friends die and now I have to watch another.

Suddenly it dawned on me that saying goodbye to Richelle was going to be harder than saying goodbye to Eva. I was losing another sister.

God, please grant me courage to say what needs to be said to her and help it to be right.

"I-I don't want to do this," Gabby said. "Richelle... I can't- I don't-Sadie-"

"Gabby, if you don't do this, you'll regret it for the rest of your life," I said. Gabby choked out a sob. "I know."

Dad picked us up and took us to the hospital. The car was entirely silent the whole way there.

When we got there. I breathed in the all too familiar scent of Clorox and cleaning supplies. I hated that. As we neared her room Mom came out. Her face was pale and tears streamed down her face.

"The doctors think we should limit your visit to five minutes," Mom said. "Just in case..." She started crying and rushed out.

So they were still holding on to the small hope that Richelle wouldn't die. But they were still wanting Gabby and I to say goodbye to her because this might be our last chance to. Still I looked down at Gabby and said three words.

"Hold my hand."

Gabby and I walked in and my voice caught in my throat when I saw my sister. Her eyes were closed, her body completely still.

"You go first," I whispered to Gabby because I could barely speak. Her dark hair was matted underneath her head. She was so still I didn't think she was even breathing. She might not have been. The monitor above her head showed her heartbeat. Once or twice in a four or five second period. That wasn't good and it definitely wasn't normal. My parents were right. She was dying. Just a week and a half ago she was tripping me on the beach. And now this.

Gabby leaned forward and whispered, "Richelle?"

"She can't-" Dad started, but Gabby pressed on,

"It's-It's okay if you can't open your eyes right now," Gabby said. "I understand. If-" Gabby took a deep breath. Her voice was shaky. I put my hands firmly on her shoulders.

"It's okay," I whispered.

Gabby nodded a little. "If you have to go, we'll be okay. But if you can stay..." Gabby's voice broke.

"Your turn," Gabby whispered, stepping back.

I took a deep breath. "Believe in the unseen and search for it. That's what you told me. It's what got me here. So... even when I can't see you... I'll never stop believing you're there. And I'll never stop searching for you. And I promise, I'll never, ever forget you. I... I love you, big sis."