HEALING AND LETTING GO

"CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE A baby girl!" 

Doctor Stella's voice echoed in the room. Tears and a big smile plastered Avery's face. For her, it was a hundred percent ultimate friendship experience. However, seeing tears and smiles on Shelly and Art's faces was beyond. After Art cut the cord, loud clapping and endless words of congratulations surrounded the new parents.

Avery couldn't contain her heart's happiness. Witnessing such a significant milestone in her best friend's life was a surreal occasion. She was sure Shelly would be hands-on and a caring mother as she cared for Ella and Thomas. Art's presence and care make a perfect team as loving parents to their newborn daughter.

"Happy tears?" Ethan's whisper in Avery's ear caused her body to shiver. They've been together for almost four years, and everything about her husband excited her the way it did since they first met in the park.

Ethan's arms slowly wrapped around her waist from behind. Avery felt a kiss in her hair. She couldn't help it. One hand softly traced his jaw while the other clasped his hand around her waist. "She's beautiful! The baby's got Shelly's eyes and Art's lips. I'm so happy for my best friend!"

"She sure is beautiful. We all are happy for both of them!" Ethan placed small kisses between her ear and cheek. "I can feel the joy radiating through your body. Maybe tonight we can try for a baby too? Look how beautiful Ella and Thomas are. We surely can make another gorgeous one!"

Avery giggled. "Ethan, you're tickling me!" she whispered.

***

A few days after the hospital released Shelly and the baby, all four were doing final touches in the baby's room. Ethan was helping Art in putting up the crib. Avery put the decorations she bought for her goddaughter while Shelly relaxed the baby in a rocking chair. It had been six months since the couple moved to Florida and purchased the house next to Ethan's. When Shelly looked around and locked eyes with Avery, they both smiled. Other friendship goals checked off their list were living beside each other and nurturing their friendship with their families. As the four of them exchanged banters, an almost-four-year-old Thomas came running with Ella holding on to him.

"Papa is here! He has pink balloons for my girlfriend!" Thomas' words earned chuckles from the men and surprised stares from the women in the room.

"About time, dude!" Art yelled at David, who entered the room with the balloons and flowers. 

"So sorry I couldn't catch a flight a few days earlier." David hugged Avery as he handed her the flowers and balloons. When Shelly reached, he kissed her forehead and caressed the baby's hair.

"Thanks for coming!" Shelly mouthed.

David scooped Thomas in his arm and walked toward the guys fixing the crib. 

"I thought you won't need any help with small stuff like this, Engineer Art!"

Art rolled his eyes at David. "Screw you, dude! I don't know why I agreed to buy this complicated piece of shi---"

"Art!" Shelly's voice halted her husband from finishing his statement. "The kids are here!" she added.

Ethan and David laughed, seeing Art's pale face as he gestured a sorry to his wife.

"Is that a pink bed for my girlfriend?" Thomas asked.

All three men eyed each other, speechless at the boy's question. Shelly pointed Avery toward the little boy, hinting at her best friend to say something.

Avery shook her head and looked in her son's direction. "Thomas, who said something about a girlfriend? Where did you hear about girlfriends? You're too young for that."